Errors during Mandrake 9.0 install

Guest cyphex

Hello, I have a real problem here, during the install of Mandrake 9.0 (usually during the package install and afterwards) I get different errors constantly about files not being able to be copied or something similiar and do I want to continue, yes is what i put in now when i reboot to finilize the installition all the text and what not scrolls and stops and says something about Kernel Panic: init failed or something like that sorry i didnt write it down but the errors during package install were these:

dosfstools-2.8-2mdk.i586

dev-3.3.1-10mdk

db2-2.4.4mdk.i586

there were a lot more but i didnt want to have to write all those down and i got my mandrake images (yes i have all 3) from the mandrake website mirror.. i checked the sizes of the files on the ftp and my cds and they matched exactly, please help me on this....

Couple of things to clear the air.

1) Run md5sum on all three files before burning. This is more than just file size

2) It is possible to have burn errors. Do all errors occur from the same cd? Many suggest burning slower to reduce errors. I have not burned slower myself, but I have had errors that corrected upon reburning. I have found 1/3 of my cd's burn with errors (not just linux!) so I should burn slower.

I'm having the exact same problem.

I'm using a retail standard pack and used the disks a while ago to install 9.0 on my laptop.

I have had a few problems reading files using my CD burner before.

SO:

I might try creating a install floppy and run install from a different drive.

I know this doesn't really make sense but I'm getting desperate. I might have to just reinstall 8.2 which worked well on this machine.

Edit:

I just noticed that some people had the same problem switched drives and everything was happy bunnies, so maybe it is worth a try.

A while ago you could see the tracks burned or pressed on a cd nowdays they're as smooth as mirrors. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?