Mozilla Firefox, gtkv2.0, Xft, FontConfig???

lauram93

So, I had Firefox running fine, only the fonts were atrocious. I read somewhere that I should have gotten the "-gtk2+xft " version, so I downloaded that and untarred it (is that what you call it..im a n00b!)

Anyways, it didn't work:

[laura@localhost firefox]$ ./firefox

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libXft.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and then I read the readme: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...gtk2-xft.readme

that says This build required that the GTK+v2, Xft and FontConfig libraries are installed.

Now, I followed the advice of someone else in another forum and typed "rpm -qa" to see all available packages that I have on my system. I saw a couple that resembled gtk-2.0 in some form, but nothing about Xft or FontConfig.

I went to the FontConfig.org website and downloaded the tar file. It said I needed FreeType when I tried to install, so I downloaded and installed that. Now, when I go back to try and install FontConfig, I get this error message during the ./configure part:

configure: error: Cannot find usable expat library. This could mean that your version is too old.

my version of what?

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks for helpin a n00b out :)

AFAICT your version of Mandrake is a little old and doesn't contain Xft2 - first thing to check would be that there are no packages available for Mandrake 9.0 that contian it.

The configure error is referring to the expat library thats mentioned on the same line - I have no idea what that does.