Partition Magic 8 Help?

Guest Goldenlight

Guest Goldenlight

I decided to install Boot Magic on a 50mb partition I created on my hard drive.

everything seemed to work great , but now for some strange reason. MY F drive is no longer visible. There for Boot Magic no longer works.

I tried to make the drive I installed boot magic on visible, but everytime I restart my system and it says its "unhiding", but when I get back to windows, the drive is hidden. :help::help: How can I safely uninstall BOot magic.\ :help:

In PM8 did you rt-click the partition>Advanced>UnHide?

I would need a detailed description of all your physical hd's, partitions/types on them, and which is the active ...etc......before I could even begin to maybe guess what the problem is.

How did you install BTMagic? There's an uninstall in the StartMenu and ControlPanel>Add and Remove Programs. I'm pretty sure it can be done from floppy as well....check out the docs.

Guest Goldenlight

ok fixed that Now I have another problem. I can't seem to get rid of boot magic. I tried reinstalling it , but I got some kind of error saying it can't find where boot magic was originally installed.

Is there something I can clear out of the bootrecord.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=11887

The biggest advice I can give when messing with PM8/BTMagic is to make sure you have working boot disk for them. The above link will show you how to boot without a linux loader in the mbr or BTMagic. Uses the ntldr.....just how XP/2k like it.

oh, and BTMagic can not be on more than one partition at a time. So if you do a bkup, uninstall BTMagic>bkup>reinstall BTMagic.

Edited by bvc

The last time I used Partition Magic, was version 3. I did not like the idea of having to have a special partition just for the boot manager. A friend of mine turned me onto System Commander and I have never looked back. One nice thing, is that Mandrake Linux recognizes the System Commander MBR and gives you the option to install lilo/grub in the first sector of the root partition, where SC will load it from.