Before Installing Linux 10 OE

kaiocool

I a have 9.0 sitting on a partition on my comp, and I started liking it, so I decided I have some free time tonight, I will install 10 OE.

Decided to stop by here, and now I am absolutely terrified.

I have a dual boot on windows xp, Windows was installed first, before Linux that is.

I cannot afford for my XP to be touched:

-Too many files that I cannot lose, I will be dead if I lose them.

-My WinXP disc got messed up/abused.

So when I came here, you can see why I am terrified, I see way to many things that can go wrong, or am I just imagining things.

I want to simply replace the 9.0 to 10 on that partition, not upgrade. I dont remember how i got it installed nicely the first time, I think the Linux installer was smart and made another partition, and did the dual boot stuff.

So... any suggestion, too risky?

Welcome to the board!

First, neither I nor anyone else can tell you that in the process of working on your computer you absolutely will not lose anything. While I would not say that I am terrified when I work on my computer, I certainly know that stuff happens. That is why I use a back up of critical data.

I have been dual, triple, and quadruple booting windows with different os's for several years. I use lilo. My windows have been 98se, me, and xp pro. Here is what I know. As long as windows is on the first partition of the ide primary master, and it thinks it is alone in the world, it works fine. B)

So, you are using existing partitions for linux. That is good. XP is already coexisting with linux. That is good. If you list your current /etc/fstab, I could tell you more.

My best advice would be to figure out how to back up your data.

/etc/fstab is a file that tells your linux system what partitions are where and how to mount them. In turn, you can access these partitions from linux. By posting the contents of this file, it will tell me the partition layout of your system. Open kedit, navigate to the file, open the file, select all text, copy it, and paste it into your message here.

wow, that was the easiest installation ever, I think the new mandrake is better, feels stabler, installed everything automatically, did not have to pain over it!!! This is a great +++++! Now you gotta teach me how to make my desktop look cool. Also, how long does it take for the archiver to read the 199.9mb ut2k4 file?