upgrading gnome 2.2 to 2.4

Is this possible to do in a not too compilcated way? I have RH 9 with gnome 2.2, but when I temporarily installed FC1 on the same box, I liked gnome 2.4 better. Then I re-installed RH 9 over FC1, so I am back to gnome 2.2. I wasn't having much luck with apt when I had FC1, so I got mad and re-installed RH 9. Apt works great with RH 9, but I miss gnome 2.4.

I used apt to upgrade everything in RH9, and then I did the apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade the base packages, in the hope that it would upgrade gnome, but it didn't.

I googled this a lilttle, but many results just ended up being people saying to just install FC1 instead of RH9, to get gnome 2.4 in an easier way.

actually, I just downloaded all 4 FC2 ISOs last night. I was gonna put them on my new linux box I am building. My RH9 box is an old P-III, 1GHz, 256Mb RAM machine which is still pretty decent. I have been using it to practice on, learning linux, learning gnome, learning intalling s/w, etc.

I was just asking cuz I wondered if it was possible to upgrade gnome 2.2 to 2.4, but it is probably too complicated.

I am going to let my 6-yr old boy have my RH9 machine after I get my new one built in about 2 weeks.

yeah, I was gonna try apt-get install gnome-whatever, but I haven't tried it yet. I was hoping the dist-upgrade would upgrade gnome, but it doesn't. Or maybe I have to be out of gnome when I do that...? I did have the dag repository in my sources.list file.

No big deal I guess, since I'm gonna give the machine to my 6 yr old. He has no preference either way... he just cares about games.

Edited by null