Odd shutdown problem

I'm having a problem with shutting down from KDE using mandrake 10OE on my dell inspiron 5000e. When I go to logout and press any of the options shutdown/restart/logout, the screen goes black immediately and the system hangs. Because there is no power-off button the only way to turn it off then is to take the battery out, and then on startup it complains it wasn't shut down properly. I've got ACPI enabled in the boot menu.

The wierdest thing is that the 'halt' command from a konsole will shut the system down properly, with the proper screen etc.

???

Sounds like a problem with the X server, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Do you have X starting at boot? If so, try changing that (MCC -> Boot I think) and start from cli. At that point, all you have to do is log in and type

startx

to start the X server.

Then when you log out, you should just get a logout option to drop out of X and back to cli. Then you will be able to use the halt command that you said works.

Yes, X starts at boot. It's not really a bit problem getting it to shutdown (I've made a desktop icon that does the command 'halt' so I just click it to shutdown B) ) and I don't need any users but me, but I just wondered if there was something obvious I was doing wrong...

Guest CyberFrog

An hint if you feel bored with removing your battery. You should be able to shut off your laptop by pressing down the power button for 4 seconds or more. This is a kind of emergency shut-off procedure (and it works not only on laptops, but also on ATX desktop machines).

Well, this is not a very good solution since it won't make it avoid the system to complain on the next startup.

In fact I think there's a little unstability with the ACPI poweroff function because I sometimes encounter myself a similar pb when I try to shutdown my Sony laptop (using mdk 10OE) : the system freezes just after the 'Power down.' message without shutting off.