Mandrake 10 Official install error- basesystem..

Guest jcw

Hi,

While trying to install Mandrake 10 official (dual boot w/ win2k service pack 4), I get as far as the screen where you select the packages you want. But when I click next, I get the following...

basesystem package not selected

Clicking OK then takes me back to the partition wizard. I eventually get back to the package selection screen and encounter the same 'basesystem package not selected' error. I have searched around and found others with the same issue on previous versions, but no solutions so far. I have checked the iso's using md5sum and everything seems ok on that end.

Anybody have any ideas???

Hardware:

Dell OPTIPLEX GX260

Pentium 4

2.8GHz

1Gig RAM

If the iso's are good, then the next step would be to re-burn them at a slower speed with different name-brand media. This sort of problem might be in the software, but it is usually an external issue, like bad download or bad burn.

Also. try a quick install without selecting/deselecting anything. I have occassionally found an issue where the installer is causing problems, and just getting a working linux system will install everything you need later.

• 2 months later...
Guest antiochtech
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried deselecting everything with the same results. I guess I'll try reburning the iso's.

thanks.

i have an identical problem. however, i have used the same set of discs to install it previoiusly on the same system. should this not rule out any iso burning probs?

gigabyte ga-7zx rev5

amd athlon 1200mhz

2 physical disks

primary master: 40gb with 30mb fat32 partition for win2k, 10mb remaining (partition not defined) for mdk10

primary slave: 20gb in one fat32 partition for winXP

Edited by antiochtech

The only way the base system package is not selected when you have not actually done anything is if the installer is fudged or the package is not selectable. Either case would be a bad burn, in my mind. Now, if you have loaded the system previously and the disks worked, then the next possibility is hardware. How well the cdrom is reading the disk, ram issue, processor issue, these all come to mind. So, start again. How many times can you duplicate the problem? Flukes can occur on the best system.

By the way, the symptom is identical, but the problem is not! B)

...if you have loaded the system previously and the disks worked...

well, it can also be that the cd's were in the sun or got scratched or wet or there might be big fingerprints on them. sure, then they will stop working right and many people forget that all the time. ;)

Edited by arctic

...if you have loaded the system previously and the disks worked...

well, it can also be that the cd's were in the sun or got scratched or wet or there might be big fingerprints on them. sure, then they will stop working right and many people forget that all the time. ;)

Excellent points!

• 1 month later...
Guest Underdog

I just downloaded the 10.1 Community Edition isos and tried to do an upgrade at first . . . that failed. So when I did a full install, I got the same error stating "basesystem package not selected" . . . the last poster had said it was his CD drive, so I booted from my slave CDROM instead of my Master DVD drive . .. and it is installing now . . . so maybe my DVD drive has died . . . not sure but this is definately a work around.