Wireless Access Point

shanetheshane

I've finally decided to setup a Wireless Access Point for my laptop, and thought I'd ask everyone for a few comments.

I'll need to buy two wireless nics, one PCI (for the gateway) and one PCMCIA for the laptop. I'm aware that there is software for loading windows drivers for unspported cards, but if I could get some suggestions on cards that will work "out of the box" with Mandrake 9.2/10.0, I would appreciate it.

I've been using Mandrake Single Network Firewall for a few years now because of the nice webmin page. I'm sure I can figure out how to do things the hard way, but its nice for non technical persons in the house. So my first question is: will Mandrake Network Firewall work as an Access Point? Or should I just stick with Mdk 9.2/10.0 and set things up the had way?

I suppose another option would be to just buy a Linksys WAP and plug the WAN port up to my hub and connect to the SNF gateway to leach internet. Is this a reasonable solution? Would love to hear your comments.

Thanks!

Shane

Edited by shanetheshane

Dont know about MNF but its a bitch with other similar stuff becuase the wireless parameters all need setting on boot.

It can be done and I did have it working using a deb box BUT I used the linuxant driver for that.

802.11b devices are better supported but slow as HELL so if anyone has any outa the box 802.11g PCI cards please post em.....

I visited Mandrake's Hardware Databse today -- the list is pretty weak. So any further comments would be greatly appreciated! I really want something that is going to work after a fresh install without any custom tweaking/dowloading/etc.

Can anyone vouch for the MSI CB11b2 wireless PCMCIA card? It is in MDK's DB as Certified and has no additional comments. But the PCI version is not on the list.

I had bad experiences with card names.

I bought netgear...

WG511 and WG311 (PCMCIA and PCI) and found they are COMPLETELY different chipsets.

Its a real bitch ... and lots of research.

Which is why I think paying for the linuxant wrapper is worthwhile....

On the plus side I got a WA311 (PCMCIA -802.11b) netgear from my brother and just plugged it inot my laptop and it was supported.

Its REALY fraught....

sorry not to be more help except to say your doing the right thing by waiting for a personal recommendation.....

(oh and /bump)

someone must have one ????

Thanks for your response.

So the Netgear WA311 worked "out of the box?" Unfortunately a quick search on www.pricewatch.com & www.ebay.com resulted in 0 WA311s. :(

I suppose if MDK has the MSI CB11b2 (PCMCIA) listed as Certified it should be safe ... but I can't help but wonder if it is certified with an unmentioned caveat.

Shane

oops

sorry I just checked the outside.... it says MA401 (revD)

however I have Linspire/Lindozs (laptop edition) oon my laptop...

It also works with knoppix but I hanvt tried MDK on it since 9.0

MDK has issues with my laptop or visa versa :D

If you dont mind paying a bit the linuxant stuff IS good tho.

I used it for an access point I made on a Deb machine but it worked first time...

Thanks. I haven't been able to find a Netgear MA401 (revD), but did see several cards on www.pricewatch.com that has "MA401" in the details ... but I don't want to take a chance.

Someone on the MandrakeClub forums suggested the "D-link DWL-520. (the basic 811.b card, not the 520+)" for the PCI.

[grin] What a chore. Its not that I can't afford the $20, or am incapable of installing it, ... I just don't like using proprietary software.

Edited by shanetheshane

Yep and it locks to that card too so if you upgrade to a 802.11G later you have to buy a new linuxant driver!

Even thge rev D might be important, the manufactuerers seem to change chipsets at the drop of a hat so one might be atheros then the next might be someone else, just across a revision number!

Its a combination of having to buy the device and buy the driver and somehow feeling like your in a lottery that i find uncomfortable!

I hate stuff you have to rebuild akernel for etc. becuase it means if you upgrade then you have to do all that again...just to have your wireless working as it was.

ho hum