Mandrake 9 installation problem

Guest sleeping_sloth

Guest SunnyJim

BTW, when I say old Radeon -- I mean the original Radeon card -- not the newer 7xxx, 8xxx, or 9xxx series. These might work but I have no experience with them and SMP kernels.

The default mandrake kernel is not configured to run on a multi-processor system so forget about using the 3 Mandrake cds.

You have 2 choises:

1)Download the SMP cds.

2)Install with one processor, compile the kernel with the SMP option, install your second processor and boot the newly compiled kernel.

You have the proof that the problem is the kernel because you can use the SMP redhat kernel.

Have you tried to rebuild and install the nvidia driver on your redhat installation ?

MOttS

Guest SunnyJim

Well, he should still be able to run in uniprocessor mode, I would think. Actually, I think he is having the same problem in Redhat in SMP.

I've never had problems installing Mandrake on my SMP machine. That is, I've never had problems unless I was running a GeForce card. I still say borrow the cheap video card and see what happens.

Or do a text mode install and configure X later (after installing the Nvidia SMP kernel and SMP video drivers). It's not as easy but it doesn't sound like things have been easy thus far. I had to do that very thing in order to install Mandrake on my tablet computer.