PnP on a software BIOS

Guest JeremyG

Guest JeremyG

Hey,

I have a Toshiba satellite 5000 laptop and it apparently has a software bios instead of a hardware one. My problem is that I have to change the PnP os to no in my bios so that I can enable sound support under Linux (I ran sndconfig and it said my sound card was supported, and that i just needed to do this). Does anyone know how to do this or can give me any suggestions because all I can access at the moment is boot priority and setting a password at boot up.

Alright n00bie, suck GAS. As in the Great Assistence of Static!

Considering others have gotten sound to work on toshiba laptops, there may be a way around this issue. The problem lies in figuring out this way around. I believe setting the pnp os option to no makes the bios help configure things like sound before getting to the OS at all. So maybe it would work if the right sound module is loaded and then you ran sndconfig? I'm just guessing here - hoping someone with a better clue will jump in at any time...

Guest JeremyG

Well, I'm not the one with a better clue, but here goes...

As for other people being able to get sound working on their Toshiba laptops, I haven't found anyone who has gotten it to work on my model yet, and that is an important piece of the puzzle because most other laptops do have a hardware BIOS, but mine however, has a software...but there is still hope.

As for the right sound module...that has possibilities. But my problem with that is that I am told that the snd-card-intel8x0 module works with my sound card, Yamaha AC-XG, or I believe it said it was Yamaha AC`97 when I ran sndconfig, but either way, I cannot locate where to d/l the module and it isn't on my laptop. I installed the alsa-drivers, libs, and utils (version 5.1*) and that hasn't helped much. I followed the install guides, and when it told me to edit the /etc/modules.conf file, when I opened it, it already had the stuff in there, so I am kinda confused.

If anyone can direct me to the appropriate link where I can download the snd-card-intel8x0 module, it would be a big help.

Guest JeremyG

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. But everything that you put into it for me was what they were telling me to put in. I'm going to give something a shot tonight, but if I can't figure it out tonight, you can give me a hand tomorrow night.