No sound in Mandrake 9.0

Guest amos

I've installed Mandrake 9.0 on a new laptop but I seem to be having a problem getting the sound to work. When I log in to KDE I get the following message:

• Sound Server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

After reading various similar sound related posts I tried running sndconfig, which detects the card giving me the following message:

• A PCI sound card was found in your system. The details are:

Model: Silicon Integrated Systems [siS] |SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator

After hitting ok it then gives me the message:

The only settings for OS in the BIOS are Win98 and ACPI, both of which I've tried to no avail.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could offer me any suggestions as I've reached the limits of what I know.

Cheers. :D

Guest JeremyG

What kind of laptop do you have? I just ran into the same problem, but with my bad luck, there is no hardware bios on my laptop (satellite 5000), so I don't know what to do. I suggest maybe calling the manufacturer and ask them what they say about it.

The shop I got it from called it a Smart Note something or other, but its actually a Clevo D270S. Apparently Clevo ship them out without a processor, hard drive, memory or CD/DVD drive, and the retailer fits these before rebadging them.

I have thought about contacting the shop, but I had an operation last week and can't go anywhere at the minute. If I'm still getting nowhere after posting here I'll probably see if the guy can test the sound without having windows installed. SiS have a driver to download from their website but I couldn't get it to work.

Does your laptop have the same Sound Card or is it just a similar message you're getting?

Cheers. :D

Guest JeremyG

I have a Yamaha AC-XG sound card (as per what windows says), but I got the exact same message, word for word except for the different cards. I am still working on trying to find out how to change it on mine since I don't have a hardware BIOS, but I haven't had much luck yet. When I get home tonight I am going to try a few things that I got today and see how they work. I will post my results and hopefully they will be favorable for me and hopefully give you some insight into your problem as well.

I would suggest that you might give them a call and see if they know anything off the tops of there heads about pnp os. That might work for you there, otherwise I have no more suggestions until I get mine working.

I've had the same problem. in the end i noticed that the mixer was closed. all sttings were put to 0 each time i started. so, i opened the mixer : it worked.

the second problem was to keep my settings. i've forgotten exactly the way to fix this. as soon as I've found out i post here.

good luck !

During the boot process there's an error message telling me that aumix couldn't be opened. I'll have another fiddle now but I tried messing with it before and it didn't seem to do anything.

Cheers.

This may or may not help you. I had the same problem with Kmix being blank and not opening on start-up. My problem with sndconfig was diffrent, though. I discovered my mondules.conf file needed an "above ..........." line. Once that was in, I opened kmix, adjusted the volume, and saved my settings on log-out.

(my laptop uses a Maestro soundcard)

alias sound-slot-0 maestro3

above snd-maestro3 snd-pcm-oss

BooYah

Opened modules.conf and found the following entries already there:

• alias net-pf-4 ipx

alias autofs autofs4

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

alias eth0 8139too

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

above snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss

probeall usb-interface usb-ohci

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

When I ran harddrake and looked at the sound it told me that snd-intel8x0 is the default driver for the card and said that an alternative was i819_audio or something similar. I tried swapping to that but it did no good.

Since yesterday I've also tried upgrading the BIOS but I couldn't find any changes in the BIOS Setup screen (ie I might already have been running the upgrade) and it didn't make a blind bit of difference to anything anyway.

Anybody got any other ideas I can try?

Cheers.[/b]

I've been looking at the output from dmesg and found the following near the end of it:

• PCI: Enabling device 00:02.7 (0000 -> 0001)

PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin C of device 00:02.7. Please try using pci=biosirq.

unable to grab IRQ 0

Intel ICH soundcard not found or device busy

From running harddrake I know that device 00:02.7 refers to the soundcard can anybody tell me what the message means, and what I need to do about it?

If it helps I can always post the entirety of dmesg's output.

Cheers.

I've just been looking at the ALSA website.

Although it says that the 7012 soundchip is supported, it describes the chipset as SiS735 (which is the South-Bridge chip I think, whatever that is).

Would the fact that the chipset on my laptop is the SiS961 make any difference as to whether the onboard sound is detected and setup correctly?

Cheers

Amos.

I have sound!

I ended up having to get a 2.4.20 kernel, patch it with the latest ACPI patch, recompile it with APM disabled and all ACPI options enabled (I don't know whether these were strictly necessary). Then I edited modules.conf, commenting out any lines referring to sound and inserting the line:

alias sound i810_audio

This still left me with an error message when I booted into KDE, but the sound was working. I managed to get rid of the error message by opening the Sound Server dialog under the configuration options in the main menu, and selecting OSS Free instead of ALSA.

Strangely sndconfig now recognises the card but tells me it isn't supported.

Cheers.

Amos :D