Autostart

Hello,

I have some self-developed Java programs that I need to be started when a user logs into Mandrake. The programs need to be run as root and therefore I cannot put them in ~/.kde/Autostart. Is it possible to put startup scripts someplace else?

/MrWhisp

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

You need to put the scripts in the relevant rc.d directories (i.e. if you want the service available at init level 3, put a script in rc3.d, and if you also want it at init level 5, a copy in rc5.d

Look at the scripts already present there, and ammend your scripts to provide the functionality you need. As a guide, scripts begining with K mean kill service at this run level (i.e. Kvncserver in rd5.d means that the vnc server doesn't auto-start when in run level 5.) Scripts beginning with S mean start (i.e. Ssshd in rd3.d means auto-start the ssh deamon in run level 3.)

(init 3 is the command line interface run level, init 5 is the graphic user interface run level (although both interfaces are available from both run levels, the levels are there so that if you don't want the graphics, you don't have to still have the X server loaded in memory.)

# oops - should have pointed out, the rc.d directories are in /etc

Edited by fred_the_fish