Kernel 2.6 does not recognize my wireless

Guest azound

Guest azound

I have mandrake 10 CE on my laptop, and when I run under kernel 2.4, it recognizes my lucent pcmcia card as an Orinoco wireless card, and it runs perfectly.

When I load 2.6, it recognizes it as a Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE, the wireless card gets power for about 1 second, then turns off.

Why do the two kernels recognize my wireless card as two different models? How can I fix this?

Thanks!

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

My solution would be to compile the kernel myself and use the module that you know will work.

Other than that, you might try changing it via the network settings wizard in the Mandrake Control Centre. Uncheck autodetect and choose your card from the list...

It's in the network config options in MCC. If you go in there like you're setting up a new connection and click on the wizard, there will be 2 checkboxes. 1 will be auto-detect and it will be checked, the other is expert mode. Uncheck the Auto-detect and check the Expert mode.

Guest azound

Okay, I found the manual option. It then asks me whether to automatically probe for other options, or provide them manually. When I do an automatic probe, I am returned to the opening wizard choice of "manual" or "eth1: Lucent Technologies Wavelan/IEEE". I have tried several of the drivers, but they all return me to that menu. I am currently looking for the options to put in manually. Does anyone know what options the card needs? (irq_mask, irq_list, ignore_cis_vcc). I am searching the Lucent website, but so far haven't found it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am having the same problems, I have a lucent card (orinoco based) with a fresh install of 10 ce. I get power to the card for like 1 sec and that is it. I can configure the card, but I get nothing beyond that. Winderz works great (dual boot). I added the lines:

yenta_socket

cardmgr

to ect/modprobe.preload.

That did nothing. The networking section of mcc is going very slow too, takes forever. I am running an x24 IBM with the above mentioned orinoco card.

I found these on this forum, but nothing is happening. The card worked in L10 ce l3 days ago and after a failed attempt to go to 10.1 rc, I re-installed 10 ce.

Thanks for everyone's help, I am trying to go completely linux based, and this is my single holdup.

alm

"My solution would be to compile the kernel myself and use the module that you know will work."

that would be bad advice, given that this is *removable* hardware.

for those having trouble - see if the module orinoco_cs is loaded. if not, what happens if you modprobe it? if nothing appears to happen, what do you see when running "dmesg" as root immediately after modprobing?

[edited by spinynorman]

how do I tell in orioco_cs is loaded? I have tried to remove the card via the mandrake networking menu and reinstalling it. When I do, it names the card as the lucentcard. If I try to manually configure card, I am returned to the screen that tells me to configure my card manually or select the lucent card. I can't move from there. I am a newbie at this, I can provide whatever info anyone wants, but I can't get the card to light up for more than two seconds. Please help, thanks in advance.

-alm