Newbie to Linux and MDK

Dooley

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum and also to Linux along with Mandrake.

I have been intrested in Linux for sometime now and decided to take the plunge and see if this thing, called Linux, is what I have been led to believe it is. I purchased a copy of Knoppix live CD and to my total suprise it is more than I expected.

OK, so much for my life history, now, to the reason for this post.

I like Linux so much I have decided to use Mandrake 10 Offical as my only OS. I have Knoppix on the HD now and would like to know how to go about installing MDK on the HD.

Will MDK delete Knoppix as it loads or do I need to start with a clean hard drive.

If this post is in the wrong forum please tell me and I will get in the right one.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Dooley

hello !

Will MDK delete Knoppix as it loads or do I need to start with a clean hard drive.

no.

From memory:

if CD1 does not boot, insert CD2 and then insert CD1 when asked. then type F1 key for more options and type "expert" for expert mode.

Not really, expert, easy but you have more control.

When it's time to set the partitions, go custom partitioning.

Just create 2 partitions: / and /home (I guess your hd already have a swap partition as Knoopix is installed on the hd, you can use the same swap partition.

Thats all

If this post is in the wrong forum please tell me and I will get in the right one.

no. In fact you are in the best forum :thumbs:

oh, and welcome :)

hello !

no.

From memory:

if CD1 does not boot, insert CD2 and then insert CD1 when asked. then type F1 key for more options and type "expert" for expert mode.

Not really, expert, easy but you have more control.

When it's time to set the partitions, go custom partitioning.

Just create 2 partitions: / and /home (I guess your hd already have a swap partition as Knoopix is installed on the hd, you can use the same swap partition.

Thats all

no. In fact you are in the best forum :thumbs:

oh, and welcome :)

Thank you for your reply. I think I have missed a lot by not trying Linux before. Hopefully I can get MDK installed correctly.

Hope I didn't double post as I am not to familiar with these forums and I forget to log in before I started my reply.

Dooley

I have been intrested in Linux for sometime now and decided to take the plunge and see if this thing, called Linux, is what I have been led to believe it is.

Heh, I'd like to know what you've been led to believe. :lol:

OK, here goes.

I am a neeeeeewbie with Linux, I did't know anything about it, how it worked what problems one might have with it, I knew nothing. Still don't.

I was led to believe Linux was the best thing since pop corn.

Well, let me tell you. If things go as they have gone so far it is not the best thing since pop corn. It is the best thing since they discovered putting butter on the pop corn.

Dooley