two problems: acpi and pcmcia hang at boot

Guest cyberdwarf

Guest cyberdwarf
:help: I just installed mandrake 10. I got it working, tried to enable acpi, and then it hung at boot. Reinstalled as upgrade to restore lilo, took 5 minutes. Then tried to boot the newer kernel, pass the acpi=on to the kernel inlilo at boot stage, didn't work. I have an hp ze4430us laptop, btw. I also cannot get pcmcia to work. I can boot without the card in, it's a modem, but plugged in hangs it at boot. When I plug it in later, it doesn't hang. harddrake doesn't notice it then, but when I run kppp to detect the modem, instant freeze. I read in some forum that pcmcia doesn't work properly unless acpi is working. How can I get acpi to work? Or how can I switch to external mode pcmcia instead of the kernel mode yenta socket. I have gotten it to work with editing /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and /etc/pcmcia/config.opts in SuSE9.0, but I want mandrake. Is it possible?

It might be a bit of work.

I dont wanna sound defeatist but my laptop has always steadfastly refused to work with Mandrake kernels and acpi. It works fine in knoppix... lindows etc. but not MDK.

I think from your question you already know the answer.... its going to be a kernel recompile. (gee i sound like the Oracle from the matrix)

OH .... WELCOME :D

If you know it works in Suse then I guess the first thing is to grab the .configure that came with the suse kernel and diff it with the mandrake one.

I have a HP ze5155 Laptop. Yea getting acpi can be tricky.

Try a few things.

Open a konsole type:

$su

[enter password if needed]

#kedit &

Now when kedit opens up hit the file>open and open up your /etc/lilo.conf

In the mandrake entry you will see a append="......."

if you have an acpi entry edit it, if you dont enter:

acpi=ht

Now after your done and if it does not work retry it with:

acpi=on nolapic

So you may need to do this twice. In 9.2 I had to use "acpi=on nolapic" - sorry on Gentoo now.

After you are done save the file and close out kedit. Now back in the konsole type:

#/sbin/lilo -v

If you get any errors go back and make sure the /etc/lilo.conf was edited correctly. Sorry I havent tried MDK10 yet. But in PClinuxOS I had to use acpi=ht to make it work.

Additionallly you way need to make sure acpi is installed.Type

#urpmi acpi

Hope it helps

Edit:

Sorry if it seems a bit noobish. I see you tried SuSE. The acpi support is a bit better with SuSE.

Edited by ac_dispatcher