Winmodem woes

Guest A1bertFish

Guest A1bertFish

Greetings all,

I've been making a sore attempt at setting myself up a home network using both windows and linux machines. I have 1 with just Mandrake 9.1, one with just XP, and one that dual boots to both. Now, I figure I'll need more help along the way, but here's what's troubling me: the machine with just 'nix on it is going to be the computer that connects to the Internet, and the other two will go though it, but I can't get my linmodem working right. Now, before someone comes here and says, "Get the ltmodem drivers," take note that not only do I have them, but they're working (how else would I be online?). The problem is I'm logged into the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel, and I also installed the 2.4.21-0.13mdksecure kernel, which is the kernel I assume I would want to use for a secure network. I've tried to compile the drivers myself, and it says it works ok, but when I query the modem though kppp, it can't find the modem at all. Further investigation shows that it's a problem with the kernel source headers in secure. Has anyone managed to get ltmodem drivers to work under 2.4.21-0.13mdksecure, and if so, how?

moved from Hardware by spinynorman

Guest A1bertFish

Greetings,

First, sorry to whomever decided this needed to be moved. Since nobody seems to know about this, allow me to ask differently: what's the best (read: easiest for someone with little experience) way to set up a Mandrake network, using a modem as the internet connection and wired ethernet for the local connections?

just so you know, the secure kernel is actually intended more for something that will be used as a server - not really for just a regular network client. i would suggest you just stick with the kernel that works, and if you're worried about security you can up the security level (look in Mandrake Control Center -> System -> Security).

so that the other systems can connect, you'll need to look into the Connection Sharing which should also be in the Mandrake Control Center, but under Networking.

Guest A1bertFish

Thanks tyme. I'm a bit of a network newbie, as well as a Linux newbie, so I figured that's what I needed. If I have any other problems, I'll post.

I'm a bit of a network newbie, as well as a Linux newbie

I was (and still am, in many ways) a newbie too, but places like this board helped me learn enough so that I could help others :thumbs:

Indeed. One of my first tasks after switching to linux was to set up a network virtualy identicle to what you are talking about.

Let me give you some advicefrom the voice of experience, having done just what you are doing.

1. Don't install 10. 10 sucks for sharing dial-up as you can't have a usable dial-up connection and any other atcive network connection.

2. Take that lt modem out of your computer, throw it in the garbage, and buy a Creative labs 56k modemblaster external. Not a USB modem, not a hardware controlled PCI modem, just go ahead and get an externel. They are only $50 and if you dial up to the internet, it will be the best $50 you ever spent.

3. Last, and this is almost certainly not worth the trouble, you can buy routers that have serial ports for external modems on the router, and even routers with built in modems, but these are very expensive and the way you're doing it is probably much better.