K please read and provide assistance..

Guest VioLaTeR

Guest VioLaTeR

I know this is a linux forum, but I used the old one, and I understand you guys try to provide a little bit of help for everything.. I have to prove that I can network 3 boxes on windows before my mom lets me tear things up throw mandrake on all 3 and then network to prove its just as easy.. I'm no professional in fact have never even messed around with Networking that much, but I am seizing this oppurtunity!

Ok I bought LINKSYS EtherFast network in a box thingy.. It provides a palm sized hub, 2 network cards, 2 cables, and the disc that has the drivers.. Anyways 2 of the comps already had network cards in them so I put one in mine.. Set it up on windows 98, the other 2 comps run xp so I tried to mess around and set them up right to connect to the network.. I got it where every computer could see each other, but then I realized I have no clue how to network the cable.

We have a cable modem, and how can I go about making all 3 computers run it. I'm going to buy a router because I heard thats the easiest way, so i'll have a hub, each computer has a network card and the right cable, what else do I need a router? And if so how do I do this on one win98 box, and 2 xp boxes?? if I can do this I can then put Mandrake on all 3 and have a linux home network on cable (r0x0rz) :)

Thanks for the help, please be specific and detailed!

My best idea is just take the linksys stuff you bought back and trade it for the 4 or 5 port router.

The setup is the same and then you just plug in the cable modem right into the small router/hub.

The combo router/hub is accualy cheaper than a hub and a router seperate.

A linux Samba setup to access all the comps is just as easy as windows and you'll even be able to keep a windows box in the system for mom.

I'm running 4 boxes now. RedHat, Mandrake and 2 win98. All the comps see each other and trade files. We even game together quite nicely.

Good luck.

A more advanced option is to put the unused network card in one of the computers (so that it has two cards) and then use it as a router. You set up that machine to connect to the internet through one of the network cards and then connect the other network card to your hub. Then you use connection sharing to have that computer share its internet connection with the rest of the machines connected to the hub.

Glitz.