Konqueror tabs use

aRTee

I've been using konqueror more and more, now I use it for file and webbrowsing.

There is just one thing that I can't find: how to switch from one tab to another by using some keystroke. On konsole you can switch by just doing shift-left or shift-right - but this doesn't work in konqueror. Ctrl-shift-left (right) will just change the order of the tabs. Cute, but not what I'm looking for...

Oh and websearching gives one million answers, except what I want to know. Maybe I'm not using the right searchterms, but anyway....

Hope someone here knows... the stage is yours...

Thanks for this question, artee. I just tried. In 10.0, KDE 3.2.:

ctrl + .

. <-----

It's the dot :-) By the way, I switched to konqueror for webbrowsing. It has almost everything now what I liked in Opera. And is even fast, but looks nicer and without adds.

Well, Anna, I have tried to use Konqueror as my webbrowser several times, but it is so unintuitive for me. It was even very difficult at first to figure out how to set a home page. And to set several tabs as a home page is similar to Opera. The only thing is with Opera, if you set several tabs as a session and open it up the next day, the pages are not updated like in Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape7.1. Instead you have to reload/refresh each and every tab...what a pain/es ist so peinlich...nichts wert!

The keyboard shortcuts are really clunky and hard to remember in Konqueror, whereas in Opera and Firefox that are much easier. I like the fact in both how you can zoom a page so easily with just the + key and -key (in Opera) and CTRL + +/- in Firefox...they are very small increments and perfect for me.

So my favorite overall in Firefox...it is so clean, the most user friendly, attractive, and intuitive, and even faster than Konqueror, and Opera7.5 (don't care much for Galeon and Epiphany).

Just my humble opinion B) :thumbs:

Richard L.

Thanks guys, and girl ;) both ctrl+{ or ] work, as do ctrl+. or ,

So that fixes my problem/issue.

I am used to Opera, but am going through a transition - fully FLOSS whenever possible.

I really am getting the hang of konqueror, but lawsonrc, don't worry if you don't, that's why we have choice!

The only thing I miss from Opera is the 'photocamera'-button that allows to just switch off all images, or just the downloading of images.

Works miracles for slow servers and / or slow servers.

I know that with konqueror you can switch off loading of images, but it is a global setting, not per page. Also, there is no 'show if already downloaded' setting...

The only thing I miss from Opera is the 'photocamera'-button that allows to just switch off all images, or just the downloading of images.

Works miracles for slow servers and / or slow servers.

I know that with konqueror you can switch off loading of images, but it is a global setting, not per page. Also, there is no 'show if already downloaded' setting...

I do miss this feature too. - A quite good workaround for me is:

- disable autoloading of images in the global settings (KDE control center)

- now you get a new icon/button on the main tool bar in konqueror: show images on this side,

that's one click only ;-)

What I was missing was the 'New tab' button until I saw, that I can add this button manually to the main bar.

And another thing I used in Opera very often: clean up cache, passwords, cookies, three clicks in Opera. With kde 3.2 I created a 'privacy' icon on my desktop which is a link to 'kcmshell privacy' - very handy and comfortable.

@Richard: to switch an application takes some time if it's so high configurable as konqueror. I had to get used to it, too. - And, as aRTee said, it's your choice, there are good reasons for firefox, I guess.

Noticed it is possible to make the 'show images on this page' button, but then I'd have to click it each time - too much work, opera really works nicer in that respect..

The new tab button appears automatically if you have tabs open, but in any case I use ctrl-shift-n (ctrl-N) for a new tab, or just click the right mousebutton and drag down (needs mouse gestures switched on) .....

Darn! Just found out that konqueror mouse gestures settings have a gesture for this: up then left or right....

Ah well, live and learn..

One thing that I would miss if I changed to Konqueror would be the ability to type in a website and then use keyboard shortcuts to complete it. In Firefox: CTRL + ENTER completes the www......com, CTRL/SHIFT +ENTER for www.....org, and ALT + ENTER for www........net (I'm thinking of this from memory, so I may be slightly off on which is which).

My point is...and that is why Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera are more popular than Konqueror....why should one have to spend a lot of time to configure and figure out how a browser works????

Why settle for a browser that lacks logical, intuitive, and handy quick features (that aRTee likes in Opera) and go for a clunky work-around???

After spending a lot of time digging and getting help for Konqueror as a browser serves as proof that it isn't worth it for the vast majority of people.

But as one would say, "jedem das seine" (to each his own), so I salute your determination in making it what you want and your "flexibility" in settling for workarounds. After a few months, you'll probably go back to what has been your favorite (but I could be wrong, just my two cents worth).

Okay, I'll stop debating ..I promise!!! :lol2::joker::cheeky::thumbs::headbang:

Richard

Edited by lawsonrc