FISH

fred_the_fish

I've just got Fedora working as my second OS, and having fought with samba (some fool at samba broke the mount for four versions, and its only just been fixed... :furious3: - if anyone gets an "invalid slot" message, go looking for either an older version, or the very newest version of samba...)..

anyway, now I've got it working, I've discovered something called FISH being mentioned on my LAN, from my machine. It appears to be a file transfer over SSH protocol, but there is very little I can find about it? Is it worth using, & howto use it?

moved from Software by spinynorman

It is file transfer over SSH and it is easy to use. Konqueror understands it (I'm not sure what other browsers do). Fire up SSH on your machine and then on the other machine, open up Konqueror. Click 'Window -> Split View (Left/Right)'. Then click on an empty space in the window on the right side to select it and type in

fish://sshd.machines.ip.address/

to the address bar and hit Enter. It should ask you for your username and password. Enter those and you should now be browsing your other machine in the right hand window. The left hand window should be your local machine. You can right-click drag something from the left to the right and let go and select 'Copy here' (or 'Move here' even). Just make sure when you are navigating in Konqueror to click with your mouse on the left part of the window to browse the local machine and on the right window to browse the remote machine.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Well, if ssh is set up securely and does not allow root to login, you won't have access to the directories that root does and you'll have to copy over what you want to your /home directory and then ssh over and 'su' to root and move it where you need to, but other than that, I don't have any warnings.