Just gone bleeding-edge!

When I got used to and confident with Mandrake, I went Cooker and stuffed things up... hey, it was fun.

So now I am very comfortable with and used to Gentoo - so I edited my make.conf file yesterday and enabled ACCEPT KEYWORDS = "~x86" and am now in the process of emerge -u world (doing the packages one at a time so it's reletavily safe and controllable).

I know it isn't completely bleeding-edge, but it is to the same degree that Cooker was.

So, has anyone done this with Gentoo? A completely unstable system (in some regards)?

How's it treating you?

Hey SoulSe,

I just got my Laptop back from the fixers. It had a "fever" when the fans quit. I reinstalled Gentoo from scratch ~x86.

SOLID AS A ROCK.

No problems what so ever. I love Gentoo.

But I could have never learned enough to use it without Mandy :D

I decided to try a .deb Distro on my other computer. Man MEPIS rocks also!. I never new that Debian distros are like Gentoo. What I mean is once its installed on can just upgrade as nessassary.

Did you use Xfree or Xorg?

Hey SoulSe,

I just got my Laptop back from the fixers. It had a "fever" when the fans quit. I reinstalled Gentoo from scratch ~x86.

SOLID AS A ROCK.

No problems what so ever. I love Gentoo.

But I could have never learned enough to use it without Mandy :D

I decided to try a .deb Distro on my other computer. Man MEPIS rocks also!. I never new that Debian distros are like Gentoo. What I mean is once its installed on can just upgrade as nessassary.

Did you use Xfree or Xorg?

XFree... don't know much about Xorg to be honest.

So far ~x86 is treating me well, it actually solved a common Gentoo problem with nvidia drivers and 2.6.6

With most (including Mandy) dropping Xfree, a fork of it was created and called X.org. Or xorg-x11-6.7.0. Just some little changes here and there. Kinda weird changing your

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

not

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Here is two Forum pages on it:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1...der=asc&start=0

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=158911

Here is how I switched to Xorg

#rc-update del xdm default

reboot

#emerge -C xfree

#emerge xorg-x11

#emerge corefonts freefonts sharefonts

Edit (nano) /etc/X11/fs/config

and add:

/usr/share/fonts/corefonts,

/usr/share/fonts/freefont

#opengl-update xorg-x11

Made a sym link:

/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11 to /usr/lib/opengl/xfree

After that you need to watch your emerges. If at any time it wants to emerge xfree you will need to inject it.

#emerge --inject x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r5

Want to go real bleeding edge? go to a pure udev system.

http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/L...rimer.html#UDEV

I wrote my own udev rule for my RF wireless mouse. So my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (XF86Config) reads:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "RFmouse"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/rodent" :P

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "CorePointer"

EndSection

With udev you can identify any usb device and create a special sym link in /dev. Say you have two different usb sticks and you want one to always point to /mnt/stick1 and the other to /mnt/stick2. You can if you creat your own udev rule. and then change your /etc/fstab to point to your new sym links in /dev. In the case above I added the following to my :/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

#RF Mouse

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="U+P RF Mouse Receiver", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="rodent"

so every time I plug in my wireless mouse - /dev/rodent will appear. B)

:o

Whoa ac_dispatcher - some awesome new things for me to play with there - thanks!

Whenever I think of switching distros, I find something about Gentoo that keeps me with it.

I wonder when someone will bring out a nice GUI for portage - one of things I'd like to see still happen?

Have you found any benefits in using Xorg over Xfree? Has it changed/improved anything? Do the nvidia drivers work well with it?

I run ACCEPT KEYWORDS = "~x86" on everything but servers. call me :screwy:

Haven't had BIG problems anywho. Nothing you can't fix with DuckTape.

Edited by cybrjackle

Well there was some giu portage stuff a long time ago. Most dont work anymore

http://www.infoanarchy.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Portage

I finally got porthole to work. I always liked kportage but I cant get it to compile anymore :angry:

porthole works.

http://porthole.sourceforge.net/

Porthole never worked right until I went to the above link and downloaded the ebuild:

Download This

extract it and overwrite the current :/usr/portage/app-portage/porthole with the download.

then

#emerge porthole

You may have to

#emerge /usr/portage/app-portage/porthole/porthole-0.3.ebuild

to install it.

FYI - I dont emerge form porthole or any other gui portage prog. I use it to search and read up on the ebuilds. I always emerge from CLI. Mos gui portage apps are real outdated.

Edit:

Sorry Im not sure if Nvidia works. I think so. I have my ATI Mobility M6 LY compiled into the kernel. :P

Edit #2:

I got a little better performace with Xorg. FPS went from about 580 to 630. The reason I switched is because Xfree is just about dead. Gentoo no longer will have updates to it.

Edited by ac_dispatcher