Messed up bootloader?

neocytrix

Hello everyone,

Im trying to get a computer that has Windows and Linux on two seperate partitions, however, after I install and configure Lilo a black screen comes up when I try to reboot with just an "L" on it. Furthermore, I tried to put in the Windows CD and that won't even get past trying to detect hardware, any suggestions?

-Neocytrix

We have no idea how the thing got messed up, when you boot up without a CD in it, you just see a black screen with a blinking curser, when you boot up with the XP CD you can't get passed the hardware detection part, and when you go to install Linux you can install but the bootloader never works, I tried that rescue option already, but no luck :wall::wall::wall:

-Neocytix

I think you have a hardware failure. Do you have a manufacturer's hard drive utility? You may have a bad sector in the mbr, which can be a real bear. Various utilities can move the sector and mark the bad place unusable. You'll lose a little capacity, but the drive can still function.