Burning Mandrakelinux 10.0-Official Help

Replicator

Hi I am new here and new to the world of Linux, I read several good reviews about Mandrake 10 so I decided to download the Official release but in I have a problem when I try to burn the image because is a rar file not a bin file as usual.

I read this workaround in another forum:

Start nero and cancel all of the wizards, and close the "new compilation" window. Select the "File" menu and choose "Burn image". Select the .iso file you downloaded and the "Write CD" box should pop up immediately.

Stick a blank CR-R or CD-RW in the burner

I tried and Nero 6 put the image in a 698 file but I need to know is this workaround is correct, I cant afford so lost some CD-R trying to do this when some people can help me here... :D

moved from everything linux by tyme

a distirbuted linux image file ends with iso (iso image) which is the needed format to burn it properly into a cd. if its a rar, unarchive it (i recommend winrar and powerarchiver, both have trial versions for a certain time) and make sure that it only contains a single iso image. after that check its md5sum (check our faq for the instructions on how to do this), then burn it using your burn software (which is nero).

btw, where did you get it? is 10 OE already released to the greater public? if it is not then i would plea that you wait until it is before handing out copies. free software relates to freedom and not cost. mandrakesoft has set some policies on how 10 OE is going to be distributed and this board respects those policies.

ciao!

is 10 OE already released to the greater public?

10 OE is not yet released to the public. Only to club members and those who buy from their store.

As ramfree has already said, on this board we respect the wishes of Mandrakesoft. We will provide you with an answer to your question, however any posting stating a way to obtain MDK 10.0 OE aside from the Mandrakesoft approved channels (which at this point are a club member ship or the store) will be moderated.

Thanks guys, I found my answer last night, the file in rar. so I need to configure my winrar to not read ISO files. After that I was able to burn the disc, of course I checks the ISO first.

I will not post where I have this release to respect MandrakeSoft but I only tell here that is available already becaused is leaked, four CDs BTW.

is 10 OE  already released to the greater public?

10 OE is not yet released to the public. Only to club members and those who buy from their store.

As ramfree has already said, on this board we respect the wishes of Mandrakesoft. We will provide you with an answer to your question, however any posting stating a way to obtain MDK 10.0 OE aside from the Mandrakesoft approved channels (which at this point are a club member ship or the store) will be moderated.

Hello;

I am totally new to Linux and I guess a little confused.

If I understand your post you are saying no one can get MDK 10 Off. unless they purchase it from Mandrake until the end of the month.

I purchased a copy from one of the, I guess, well respected websites which has Mandrake 10 Off. four disc. set.

Are you saying I don't have any rights to use it until after the end of the month.

Cheers

Dooley

They had every right to copy and sell the cds to you and you have every right to use them now. The end of the month date is when mandrake will put the 10-OE isos on their official mirrors. Mandrake is 100% GPL software and as such is freely redistributable by anyone. If you like mandrake and want to financially support them, buy a club membership($60/year) and you get some additional perks like early access to their new releases.

Files that end in .rar need to use WinRAR from RarSoft. It is a file compression utility such as Zip and Ark.

Just unrar the file and it should have a .iso file when finished.

Not completely accurate. The current version of the windows winrar has the ablity to see and manipulate iso files. Unfortunately, when you install winrar, it will associate all iso files with itself by default. This can lead to problems if you open the iso with winrar as bootable cds are very picky about the location of certain data on the cd. If you open the iso with winrar and try to copy the files over to a cd burning program the resulting cd will not be bootable. I know of no mirror which puts isos in winrar format so if your getting a winrar message in windows don't let winrar touch the file or you might have to redownload.

Hello;

I am totally new to Linux and I guess a little confused.

If I understand your post you are saying no one can get MDK 10 Off. unless they purchase it from Mandrake until the end of the month.

I purchased a copy from one of the, I guess, well respected websites which has Mandrake 10 Off. four disc. set.

Are you saying I don't have any rights to use it until after the end of the month.

Cheers

Dooley

as pmpatrick has said, you have every right to do whatever you can with the GPL software in your cd since you bought it. but please bear in mind the following points:

1) you are only allowed to distribute all distributable packages. some packages in some versions of OE are not distributable.

2) the iso deadline is only for the downloadable version of OE for the general public. those in the mandrake community has already access to these isos since a few weeks back.

3) we are just respecting mdksoft's marketing strategy of rewarding those who voluntarily contribute first by letting them have a first shot in trying the latest versions of mdk. a few weeks of waiting wont kill anybody who would like to try the downloadable version.

hope this clarifies some things for you. :)

ciao!

The confusion seems to be between PRINTED CDs of the Official Edition which are Printed by Mandrake and made available for retail sale by ALL Linux retailers as well as Mandrakes online store (I have such a set) and the BURNED Community set which was available earlier and which retailers sold at a basic cost to cover the burning of those sets. Note"- Mandrake got NOTHING from those sales other than the ones it sold itself.

But please remember these burned sets were Community Edition and definitely NOT Official Edition.

The Availability of the OFFICIAL EDITION online, is currently ONLY available to Mandrake Club Members. In a few weeks time it will be available online to EVERYone whether member or not member.

I suspect the poster got the Community version online and this is what he has downloaded.

Cheers. John.

Dooley has obviously got one of the Mandrake Printed sets so he is perfectly OK to do what he wants with it . I.e copy it or whatever.. JB

Edited by AussieJohn