Mandrake 10.0 CE edition

Guest Shadowfax

Guest Shadowfax

Didn't have much success with Mandrake 9.2 crashes and log out disappearing from the menu.

Now with 10.0 version completed the install procedure several times with exactly the same result even though all other info has been erased from the hard disk. (I operate a two disk system linux on a Maxtor 80gig disk)

boot commences from Lilo OK but when it reaches 'Enabling swap space ' - OK the system stops showing a cursor flashing.

whatever keybord instruction is given there is no respose even with Ctrl+Alt+Del

The only way out is to swict the computer off which is not ideal.

Whats the problem ? a bug, Software does not like Maxtor, boot up fault, tried a bootup floppy that doesn't work either.

Frankly if Linux is to make any headway against you know who, then it really has to be far more fault free and straight forward to use. In this respect this version seemed to be failrly straightforward, but it didn't work.

I have all maxtor drives in my system, no problems here. Any other odd happenings with other os's?

Just a thought, try rearranging the partition placement on the drive. Put swap at the end instead of middle (Mandrake default placement.) Maybe some bad sectors??

Frankly if Linux is to make any headway against you know who, then it really has to be far more fault free and straight forward to use. In this respect this version seemed to be failrly straightforward, but it didn't work.

Welcome!

CE was not the final Official and as much as it would have been nice to have a good one for people to test to see if they liked, it was not, and probably turned many away because of the horrible name. Wait for Official iso's is all I can suggest.

Did your maxtor contain a swap partition when you where booting? Maybe you forgot to make one because -you know who- also just dumps theirs in the C:\ (oops, was that too obvious?).

Just wondering.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shadowfax

Thanks for the replies. I have a two Hard disk system. MS is on the 40gig disk hda and the Linux installation on a Maxtor 80gig hdb. I have tried to install different ways but the result is the same, the boot up is halted at 'enable swap space OK ' and as I mentioned earlier the keyboard commands and mouse do not respond. If I bought the latest version is it likely to be any better. ?

What hardware and in what configuration is it? That OTHER OS is designed to run on some real funky setups. Or even when something isn't set up quite properly. In many ways linux is picky about how hardware is plugged in and used.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gsav

Buying the official probably won't help. I had the same problem with the official on a DVD. In any case, the system hangs at the "enabling raid devices" instruction.

I only managed to install md10 on my system after using both md10 kernels and both serial ata controllers on the mainboard. It's a weird way to install a system but somehow it worked. So, in the occasion that you're installing the 32 bit md10 on an athlon 64 with an asus k8v se deluxe mainboard and a serial ata hard disk, perhaps the solution might work for you too. Here's what I did:

In order to have everything running on the VIA controller, I had to place the sata drive on the promise controller and install md10 using the default (alt0) kernel while the VIA controller was disabled from the BIOS. Then, I placed the drive on the VIA, and upgraded md10 using the alt1 kernel with the promise disabled. When all is done, lilo will add one entry that will boot into md10 - all the rest will still fail. I think it's flagged 24x something... You can also have it the other way around by installing md10 with alt1 on the via and afterwards upgrading using alt0 on the promise sata controller in which occasion it's the 26x something entry that will boot normally.

It's a long shot, but I hope it helps.