Cursor seems to be in treacle, but only soemtimes

aperahama

I'm having trouble with my cursor movement.

When I boot the system sometimes the cursor moves just fine for the amount that I move the mouse other times (and this happens sometimes and not others) it is like the cursor is in treacle. Normally I need to move the mouse about 25mm to get the cursor to move from the bottom of the screen to the top but when I goes "odd" I need to move the mouse 400mm to achieve the same movement.

Sometimes it is fine for four or five boot ups and then its not until I reboot once,twice sometimes three of four times.

I have tried different configurations Generic PS2 Wheel Mouse and Microsoft Explorer (which is what it is) but both work sometimes and then the same problem has occurred.

I've only experienced this problem since installing Mandrake 10, I've used every release from 7.2 and not run into this problem before now.

I recall reading somewhere that problems can occur when using a USB mouse with a PS2 connection but I don't know.

If anybody can help with this I would be extremely grateful as I am finding this very frustrating, its so random.

When you did the install, did you select "any usb/ps2 mouse" or did you try to set the exact believed correct selection for your Mouse???? I have a Logitech Usb Dual Laser mouse and selected the afore mentioned selection and the mouse works Flawlessly. There is no need to really need any other setting. I have also used the same mouse with the ps2 adaptor and also never had any trouble there either.

I venture to say that in a year or two there won't be a need for any selection of mouse installs. The OS will just go ahead and install automatically regardless of the brand or type. It is pretty close to that now with this above setting.

Use Mandrake Control centre to change your selection to "use any usb/ps2 mouse" if you are not currently doing so and see how you go. It should be AOK.

Cheers. John

Thanks for your response John.

Originally I used "Generic PS2 Wheel Mouse" which gave me an entry in my XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

The same as I used in 9.2.

I took your suggestion to "use any usb/ps2 mouse"' that gave me :

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

...but alas still the same.

I'm using a Microsoft Explorer, it's also a bus mouse on a PS/2 connection, like yours, only I'm still in 9.2

My XF86Config-4 entry has /dev/psaux, not /dev/mouse, maybe changing your entry around might make a difference

Having said that, I think Mdk 10 uses a different way of listing devices than 9.2 (something to do with udev?), so maybe it's meant to be /dev/mouse

Anyway, no harm trying, you can change back if it doesn't work