MDK 10 Official and Thunderbird

TopDog

I've been a user of Thunderbird for a good while, so when I now installed MDK10 and got Thunderbird via URPMI and it didn't work... well, that is kind of an emergency.

When I start Thunderbird from the menu, the screen flickers for a second, then nothing... same if I try to start it from a console.

I've tried both in Gnome and KDE, same thing. Don't have any other problems with other apps.

I've tried installing Thunderbird 0.5 via URPMI, and tried downloading Thunderbird 0.6 from Mozilla, unpacking and running. Same problem.

I need to see my old mail :help:

If I can't get thunderbird to work... is it possible to import the mail into, say, Evolution?

Well, I haven't been able to start Thunderbird, so it's not configured...

No messages in console what so ever, it's like this:

#user@machine: ./thunderbird
#user@machine:

Nothing... absolutely nothing...

Guest anon

Mozilla, thunderbird, firefox all store their mail and user settings in a different directory. So even if you delete the app your mail and user settings will still be there. So once you get thunderbird working, all your old mail and settings should return. (in theory) I hope your not trying to install over an old copy are you? if so thats your problem.

I hope your not trying to install over an old copy are you? if so thats your problem.

Don't worry, my old mail is safely stored somewhere else ;)

This is a clean install. I just reinstalled everything saturday night... well, if no-one have any good ideas, I guess I just have to use Opera M2 for now and hope that I find this out one day...

Have you try to dele your user settings, i dont't where they are sitting but probally something like /home/you/.thunderbird

Thanks !nkubus, you gave me a good hint.

The problem was that by some strange reason, that I didn't have read/write privileges the folder /home/users/.thunderbird.

So a fast chown -R user .thunderbird as root fixed the problem... thanks!

Thats sounds ominous to me, have you just re-installed the OS, but kept your /home?

Nope, this is a clean install from scratch... I haven't started importing stuff from my old harddrive yet...