Voodoo1 and Device 3dfx under MDK9

manly

I have a Diamond Monster3D Voodoo Graphics card. After installing glide, I can run the test3dfx program successfully. Now, I'm trying to set up /dev/3dfx as shown on http://mlug.missouri.edu/~blewis/htmls/dev-3dfx.html. Unfortunately, the source RPM linked to on the site is corrupt, preventing me from installing the kernel module. After looking for other copies of the package, I found nothing that would work on Mandrake 9, as most packages were for older or different distros. So, two questions;

1) Does anyone know of a source or rpm file that will work on Mandrake 9, and where to get it?

2) Is there an easier way to get Mesa OpenGl to work on a Voodoo 1, skipping this process completely?

Thanks in advance.

You can skip the whole process, here are my experiences with my old Voodoo card:

For some reason with MDK 9.0, if your Voodoo card is not rendering from install, it is highly unlikely that you will get it up after that. This topic has been handled extensively at linuxvoodoo.org

After battling with my card for about a week, I discovered a simple way of getting it going, but it requires an udate/re-install.

You just have to pay attention in the installation, you MUST run install on "Expert" and when you get to the section where install configures X, you will have the optiong of XFree86 with Hardware Rendering, make sure you select this option (you will be presented with 3).

Now when you run glxinfo |less you should see Hardware Rendering: Yes

This worked for me and a lot of other Voodoo users, I just did an update of my MDK9. Nobody seems to be able to get it running after install.

If someone can, please post your method!

Here is the output of glxinfo:

name of display: :0.0

display: :0 screen: 0

direct rendering: No

server glx vendor string: SGI

server glx version string: 1.2

server glx extensions:

GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context

client glx vendor string: SGI

client glx version string: 1.2

client glx extensions:

GLX extensions:

OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2

OpenGL extensions:

GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,

GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract

glu version: 1.3

glu extensions:

GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav

id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat

----------------------------------------------------------------------

0x22 16 tc 0 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 0 0 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None

0x23 16 tc 0 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 0 0 0 None

As you can see, there is no mention of hardware rendering. Does Direct rendering mean the same thing?

Is there a way I can reinstall just Xfree instead of all of Mandrake, selecting the Hardware Rendering option? If not, can I generate an autoinstall floppy with the packages I have installed now (not the ones I installed when I installed mandrake)?

Yeah, Direct Rendering = Hardware Rendering

I tried to re-install XFree with my old Voodoo, but it didn't give the option. Don't worry though, if you boot off the mdk cds and run update instead of install, you won't lose anything and it goes quickly.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgable people on this forum could find another way, but I found an update to be the quickest and least painful...

can I generate an autoinstall floppy with the packages I have installed now

Sorry, forgot that one :oops:

If you run Mandrake update, it keeps your current packages, home directories, etc. and only removes/adds packages you select in the process..

Don't worry though, if you boot off the mdk cds and run update instead of install, you won't lose anything and it goes quickly.

I ran the update, and it changed nothing. My system works fine, but Direct Rendering is still not enabled. I did run as expert, but there was no option avalible.

I have installed MDK 8.2 and 9 several times and never seen a similar option.

My 2D card is an S3 Virge, but it also has 3D (de)ceelerator functions. Is it possible that it's interefering?

Yes, your 2D card is interferring. Another user on this forum just finished a thread on this topic.

XFree kind of draws a lowest common denominator when you have two graphics adaptors and it is impossible at present to have direct rendering on only one of your adaptors.

If you yank out your S3, you will probably find XFree giving that option in the update.

Note: If you do ever upgrade your graphics adaptor, consider getting an NVidia display card. To my knowledge, they are the only company to supply Linux drivers themselves (you don't have to rely on third party drivers) and it is really quick and painless to get them going.