k3b buffer too low when copying CDs

sitor

Hello,

I'm having a strange problem, which I never had before. When I copy audio CDs (with recordings of our own show, so nothing illegal, nothing protected), the buffer of k3b is only between 1 and 7%. At the same time the CDs are copied only at an average speed of 4x. Has nothing to do with the source CD (tried different ones), and the burner is a Plextor PX-708A that should be able to burn CD-Rs at 40x, and which does burn DVD+RW at the almost maximum speed of 2,23x (1x for DVDs is a lot higher dataspeed then 1x for a CD-R).

The buffering is so bad that I already lost two CD-Rs because there was a buffer underrun.

Bad publicity for Linux towards my wife (she already does not like me putting so much time in it, and that she has to learn to work with other apps).

Anyone a clue how to get this solved?

Ciao,

Sitor

Hello sitor.

I am in w2k at the moment and am going on memory here, so please bear (bear, not bare) with me here. You can change the buffer settings in K3B and I reset it to about 64mbs. I don't know why they set the default to about 4mbs nowdays. The other problem is the cache setup. K3B generally sets up a cache itself but I find that it is not reliable because it sets it up in a partition spare space that is often not quite large enough for a full 650mbs disk (worse if it is a 700mb). I have 3 different partitions that have at least 5Gbs spare space so I create a folder on one of them that I title Cache-K3B-Xcdroast and I point K3B to this folder in its setup and save it as user default. The same applies to Xcdroast (also another excellent apps though not as user friendly as K3K, but getting there fast) No more problem there.

I realise this may not be a lot of help to you but I hope some of it is anyway.

Cheers. John.

John,

I found the setting for the buffer and have set it to 64 MB as well. The temporary file is set on a partition that still has 8.5 GB left, so that should not be a problem.

However, still not the solution. Now, when the burning starts, the buffer just slowly empties, till literally 0, and then the burning continues without buffer. It is just as if the reader (with the source CD) just can't follow the speed of the writer. But the reader is a 40x DVD /CD-ROM combo. It should cope with the read speed with ease! I tested by copying the CD contents the HD. It copies the whole CD in about 2 minutes. Way faster then the copying to the writer. So the reader's HW is OK. It is really something K3b related (probably one of the apps it depends on).

What should I do, increase the buffer up to 650MB? Sounds like crazyness!

Ciao,

SItor

I don't think making the buffer setting higher will solve the problem.

What version of K3B are you using??? I am using the very latest tar version and it works no trouble at all. I suspect that your K3B is faulty and would strongly recommend un-installing and then reinstalling the latest version or at least getting the most recent RPM of it and installing it.

John.

Sometimes having the reader and writer on the same ide cable causes transfer problems.

Try using the writer as the reader also. This makes a temp file of the data but it gets around the transfer troubles on the same ide cable.

Make sure the cd media supports speeds greater tham 4X. You probobly knew that one already but hey its a shot in the dark.