sound card (CS4236) not detected

mumtazahmed

I have just installed Mandrake 10 (community) on Dell Optiplex GX1 (PIII-500, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB hard disk). However, it failed to detect sound card (crystal semiconductor CS4236 which is buitin on the motherboard).

I have tried system configuration, etc. with no success. Please advise how to get this sound card working.

Newbie Mumtaz

open a terminal, su to root (type su at the prompt (enter), password (enter), then type.....

sndconfig

enter

if you get "command not found", then you need to install the sound config package first. (it's on one of the MDK install CD's. just use MCC (Mandrake Control Center)->install software & type sndconfig in the search box to find it.) after you run sndconfig, it will seem to hang & do nothing. that's normal because it's searching for any sound cards/devices. once it finds one you'll get a dialogue box telling what it found. select your correct sound device (if there's more than one) then click "ok". once it's done configuring the card, you'll get an option to test sound. click the button, you'll hear a sound, you're done.

Chris

• 9 months later...
Guest Bikerbob
Thanks Chris. It is up and running!

MA

Ok, I am also in 10.0, I am running the same machine.

I did install sndconfig and I have got it to work with sndconfig... I hear the sound.

But in my X11 desktop (Gnome 2.4) I still have no sound.. and the sound icon at the top shows no sound device.

lsmod shows

[root@localhost james]# lsmod

Module Size Used by

ad1848 31324 0

sound 78956 1 ad1848

soundcore 9248 1 sound

is this what you are seeing? I cant get cdplayer to work etc..

Any help would be great... thanks :wall:

James