rpmdrake update problem on mdk10CE

aya

Hi all,

When I try to apply this

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisorie...e=MDKA-2004:019

advisory I get failed dependencies error (I am not doing automatic, just rpm -Fvh). The error is:

===========================

[root@localhost]# rpm -Fvh rpmdrake-2.1.3-2.2.100mdk.i586.rpm

warning: rpmdrake-2.1.3-2.2.100mdk.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 22458a98

error: Failed dependencies:

drakxtools > 10-21mdk is needed by rpmdrake-2.1.3-2.2.100mdk

===========================

But there was no advisories for the drakxtools, so I am sort of at a loss. Can anybody help?

i would suggest using urpmi

just:

urpmi rpmdrake-2.1.3-2.2.100mdk.i586.rpm

this may solve the dependency for you. make sure your update mirror is up-to-date. just because there isn't an advisory, doesn't mean there isn't an update :) advisories are mainly for security issues. there's also regular updates and bug updates that reside on the updates repo's.

if you want to learn more about urpmi check out the FAQ on it.

Ah, Tyme...

If it was that easy I would have done it :lol:

But my linux machine is not connected to the Internet... Basically, I download the updates at work, burn them on CDRW and update my home pc.

By advisories I meant everything that can be found on

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisorie...es.php?dis=10.0

This is the first time I am getting failed dependencies issue on updates, so I find it very strange indeed...

Ah, Tyme...

If it was that easy I would have done it :lol:

But my linux machine is not connected to the Internet... Basically, I download the updates at work, burn them on CDRW and update my home pc.

Hi..

i download updates ay work (at home i don't have an internet connection available)

but i have never had a problem with dependencies when making updates...

perhaps there were some bad files...

or you just lacked some files...

i always download the complete directory for updates.. i think if this is what you do... then may be you have some corrupted files...

Greetings

Well...

I agree, it never happened before to me also. And as I can see in the files for the official mdk10 they DO have the upgraded drakxtools... So my guess is that they just... have forgotten about this dependency when making that security advisory... I am sure it will all work when I d/l the updated drakxtools files from the official mdk10 files.

i'm not running MDK10.0 yet, but i've run into dependency problems (IE: missing neccessary depends) with various official updates several times. it's like you said........... sometimes they forget to add the neccessary depends with a particular update. (i had a major headache with that during an XFree86 security update in MDK9.1) anywho, there's 3 tips/tricks you can do to help you out with issues concerning updates. if you haven't done this already, they are...........

first, periodically check at the Mandrake Secure Mirrors site to check if your particular mirror is up to date. sometimes a mirror that you've been using successfully for a while suddenly goes down or doesn't stay up to date. so, you can look there & change your update source to one that is current.

second, if you know the mirror you're using is current but you're still getting a dependency problem, you can try typing the depend in the seacrh box. if it's on the mirror but not linked to the package you're trying to update, you'll find it & know to manually install the depend(s) first, then get the main package. (i've had to do this several times. again, with the XFree upgrade, & also more recently with a KDEPim update).

third, it's sometimes wise to disable cooker sources (if you have them) before installing packages. sometimes a package (for whatever reason) will want to grab things from cooker as depends instead of a regular source. (i just ran into that issue with a KDEGames update recently & it really broked things up for me, dependency wise.)

hope that might help ya out in the future.

Chris