wine & win4lin

In my mandrake 9.2 system I already installed win4lin and it works well.

Now, I want to try wine and I installed the packages found on the distro cds.

Wine, may be searching for native dll, installed choosing for C:\ partition the win4lin "C:\" directory found into my home directory.

Now, I'm not sue I can run wine safely from a win4lin point of view...

The described situation is dangerous ?

Or could be better to tell wine to use a different C:\ directory (less the native dlls) ?

In the second option: HOW ?

There's a lot to help me....

Massimo Corinaldesi

:wall:

Win4lin puts a "win" directory in your home directory. I assume from your post you've configured wine to use that directory for your simulated C drive in wine. I don't think it should be a problem but I can't say for sure. Win4lin is vastly superior to wine for running windows programs but will not run anything needing direct hardware access(read most games). Wine is also not very good for running windows games. If that's what you want to do, winex is much better but it's not free.

It was wine itself to choose, during install, the {HOME}/win directory as c:\. Now I want to separe win4lin from wine because I suspect some initialisation files may be different. That could be possible using winesestuptk.

Me too I choosed win4lin, although it has a non complete emulation of audio interface and do not allow for direct hardware access. Unfortunately, Netraverse has changed its policy, almost cancelling the development of 2.4 enabled kernels and limiting, for 2.6, to "generic" kernels, not specific for Fedora, Mandrake, Suse, and so on. Kernel source patches will be only available for "mailine" kernels. That is what I undestand reading its website.

So said, we must soon recompile mandrake kernels sources with patches released from Netraverse hoping a patch written for a "mainline" kernel will create a kernel running on our mandrake machines. I think there will be problems. Mandrake team too seems to have already decided to abandon the development of further 2.4 enabled kernels.

I've not yet decided to upgrade my mandrake 9.2 from 2.4 kernel to 2.6 as I'm lazy, I have many compiled programs, I want do the tuning-after-upgrading process as late as I can. So I can't for now use the mandrake team produced 2.6 enabled kernels.

After that, I decided to try if wine could do the job for me. I'm not interested on games, into the windows box I'm interested on install maily amaterur radio software not yet translated to linux.

Thanks for your help.

Massimo Corinaldesi

:deal:

I noticed the change in NeTraverse's policy as well. Fortunately, there is a 2.6 win4lin kernel rpm available in cooker. I installed the win4lin kernel from cooker on mdk10-OE and it seems to work fine but I haven't thoroughly tested it. You might want to give it a try. Just do a backup before since this is a cooker rpm.

Edited by pmpatrick