Dial up connection

kzaharo

Hi!I'm using Linux 9.0 for the first time(obviously) and I'm trying to setup an internet connection.I've put in the proper settings, nut when I press connect, all I get is "Initializing modem". When I query my mode, although I get a modem ready message, the ATI's panel appears empty.Any ideas?

Thanx,

K.

Have you installed the drivers for the modem?

It sounds like the same problem I had (9.0 also, but common to all) and is to do with winmodems (software modems that work perfectly under windows but are a bugger to get running under anything else.

try googleing for your modem model and see what comes up.

searching the forum for modem or winmodem may also be of use as it is a very common problem

Oh and welcome. It can be tough but is worth the effort..

You need to do two things.

The first one is to determine for certain qhether or not you have a WinModem.

The second is follow allong

1. Is it a winmodem or a hardware modem? If you don't know how to find out, search the board here.

1a. If it is hardware controlled, skip to #3.

1b. If it's a Winmodem, find out what chipset it's built with.

1c. Take that info and go to linmodems.org and see if there's a linux driver., go to #2

2. If there is no driver, throw it in the trash, (winmodems are crumby anyway), then buy a hardware modem and proceed to step 3.

2a. if there is a driver, go back to linmodems web site and look for instructions on how to instal them. it's incredibly complicated for new linux users and rarely worth while.

2b. keep coming here for help with specific install and config problems, and remember to search first, ask second. most of the answers are here allready.

2c. If you are unable to complete the installation, which is most likely, throw it in the trash, (winmodems are crumby anyway), then buy a hardware modem and proceed to step 3.

3. Congradualations, you ahve a realy good modem. Set up is automatic with kppp. Install it from the cd's if it's not there allready, even if you're on gnome, kpp is awsome for beginners. All you need to know is your comm port. (the first serial port on the back of you computer is almost allways ttyS0) If it's a hardware controlled PCI modem (yes, there is such a thing) it could be anything, but ttyS5 is the most common in my experience. If that fails you, search the borads here. This topic has been well discussed

Edited by VeeDubb