NEC ND-2500A stalling system

xanas3712

As title/description says I'm having a problem installing unreal tournament 2004. It's not always at the same point but it happens at some point every time. I have also seen it crash (previously but not recently) when installing rpms, so I think it's somehow an issue with the drive and linux/mandrake. I am really frustrated about this situation because the whole setup works just great in windows (not a single coaster out of this drive yet).

Please provide any help possible (oh.. and I've tried disabling/enabling dma and that didn't help....)

Anyone who can help please I need some kind of response here. I'm seriously trying to give linux/mandrake the benefit of the doubt but this is just stupid. Windows uses this drive just fine. I hardly ever crash that OS but now linux/mandrake is crashing under normal use (perhaps some kind of filesystem corruption thanks to the other stall). But I mean, that's rediculous? How can it stall more because it stalls once. For windows to get corrupted I usually have to have it screw up at least 10 times if not more.. but linux stalls once and now it's not stable...

*sighs*

I have the same make and model of DVD burner as you do. However, I have no problems. Then again, I don't play UT.

However, not all mobos like this burner. My Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee refused to give a video signal, let alone POST with the ND-2500A installed (at least internally).

It is solid and reliable with my Gigabyte GA-7N400-L nforce2 mobo.

Are you using an 80 wire/40 pin cable on this drive??? If not, the do so.

If you use Windows also, do you encounter the same problem in Windows?

I have no problems with the drive in windows.. and linux has been confirmed as not to blame as this problem eventually just made me try something else. I wasn't getting any answers and I still wanted to give linux the benefit of the doubt so I installed slackware. Slackware installs the game just fine. The only problem is that I can't get the radeon drivers working on it.. so I am using slackware and mandrake together now. Actually I couldn't get sound working in kde on slackware and simply installing mandrake again and using the same home directory somehow fixed that (whatever the problem was)..

So they kind of both cover the problems of the other. Next I'm trying debian.. so I guess all is well.. though I feel kinda down about mandrake not liking whatever...

At least now I've done some kernel patching, etc. thanks to slack.