Cdrom drives don't work, anymore.

Guest Heru

I do seem to have my fair share of problems, eh?

Well unlike last time, I actually tried to find a solution, but to no avail.

Well here's the problem;

My CDROM drives don't work at all anymore. Well they open when I press the button on them, but Linux can't communicate with them anymore. They are /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd, hdc is also linked from /dev/cdrom and hdd is aso accessible from /dev/sd0. well normally since now they don't work.

They worked perfectly until the other day when I tried to copy the new 3 Doors Down CD, but that wouldn't work, nor would it read.

Just so people know, these problems are not normal Mandrake 9 problems, they are likely my fault, since I do seem to do things most users would never do.

Well does anyone have any advice on how I can fix this, short of reinstalling?

UPDATE: Tried something I hadn't thought of before. I looked for the diskdrake executable, found it in /usr/sbin, and tried to run it, it ran and asked for the root password, I gave it it, and the diskdrake promptly crashed. I checked in /dev/ for the devices out of some weird idea, and loe and behold, /dev/hd* don't exist, none of them! I can't help but wonder what would happen if I rebooted.

Hi, I don't know for sure, but maybe try running harddrake from the Control Center.

If still not detected, maybe try shutting down, unplugging the devices' cables, start the machine, let it boot then shut down.

Then plug devices back in and boot up, hopefully Mandrake will re-detect them.

Let me (us) know what happens. :|

Harddrake shows the devices but doesn't do anything about them.

Diskdrake crashes, and there simply are no /dev/hd* nodes.

I am a little worried to restart the machine fearing that Linux will give me some sort of error on bootup, like 'can't find /dev/hda7'(my root partition), since the problme turned out to be missing device nodes..

hmmm, well if yor cds aren't working, I don't think that would cause it to not reboot. obviously you didn't change anything, they just stopped working? What do you have, a cd burner and a cd-rom?

I dunno, man, I would just reboot it, at best it may help, at worse, you may have to reinstall, but if the CDs don't work then your install is sorta useless anyway, right?

That's what I would do, but then my machine is basically just a toy for me, I don't have anything irreplaceable on it, and since I started playing with Linux version 8.1, I bet I've wrecked my install and had to re-do it at least a dozen times. :mrgreen: