linux don't boot when i remove a harddrive

ybaws

hey people i hope you cab help me with this problem

i have two harddrive in my pc

but when i remove one of my harddrive (hdb5) linux will not boot it only drops me back into shell mode

it tell me that something is wrong with harddrive (hdb5)

how can i get around this. without putting back (hdb5)

thanks

Edit your fstab prior to booting without it. Actually, would you post your /etc/fstab file, and then I can be sure to give you the correct answer.

If you installed with hdb connected, the install program created an entry in fstab to automount hdb5 on boot. If you susequently remove hdb, the system will try to automount that partition but won't be able to find it and booting will stop. The solution is to put the "noauto" option in the fstab entry for hdb5. Post your /etc/fstab file, if your not sure how to edit fstab.

here is my fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext2 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb5 /home/aero/lin ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb1 /home/aero/win ntfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home/lfs ext2 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

You have two partitons on hdb,hdb1 and hdb5, both of which are set to automount. You'll have to edit both lines and insert "user noauto" in both like so:

/dev/hdb1 /home/aero/win ntfs user noauto defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /home/aero/lin ext3 user noauto defaults 0 0

"User" allows ordinary users to mount the partition; omit it if you want only root to be able to mount. "Noauto" tells the system not to mount the partition on boot. For hdb5 I also changed the trailing "1 2" to "0 0". The "1 2" at the end will make the system do an integrity check on the ext3 filesystem on hdb5 automatically every time you boot even if hdb5 is not automounted. If hdb5 is not found, booting will stop since the integrity check cannot be made. Changing to "0 0" eliminates the automatic filesystem integrity check.