Full System Lock Up

rockybalboa

For anyone who's interested in the history behind this lookup my username. Having had a complete sysem failure, I reinstalled MDK 9.2 (-kernel 2.4.8.22-10)-(Xserver 4.3)

Abit KT7-A board(no raid) -AMD Tbird 1.3 -NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 -Sound Blaster Live (I've yet to have working sound in MDK)

I am once again back to a MDK install that runs for only a few minutes and then locks completely. Cannot kill x, Alt-SysReq sequence doesn't work, or anything else, manual reboot is only option. It seems to happen most frequently when traversing directiory structure through the GUI, but also happens on the desktop and all browsers. It also happens in all the optional destops that ship with MDK (KDE, Gnome, Ice, etc..)

My newbies guess is that it's an XServer problem, because if I boot to console only it's stable, and I can do whatever I want without a GUI. I came up with this guess by scouring NGs for five days.

I've done a ton of troubleshooting on this and have given up ever finding an answer. I'm trying to find what logs to read and/or post to try and find out why this thing is locking up.

I've wondered about trying another Xserver but not sure what to try.

I've also considered going to MDK 10 but I figured the problem may migrate with me, and it's fairly new...yak..yak.

My other option that is looking better every day is going to Gentoo.

Don't get me wrong, I'd really rather get this working.

Any input is welcome.

Dan

Ok -- I've had a problem like this with mandrake. The problem is that mandrakes custom kernel sometimes does like certain hardware configurations. The longest I could get 10CE to be stable was 16 minutes.. just long enough to compile and install a custom kernel. Now, if you dont want to compile and install a custom kernel, I would recommend Overclockix or Knoppix as a good distro for you