LILO Options

ral

Linux-nonfb=I /dk...I never used it, so I remeove it.

263-7=new updated kernel, I rename it.

failsafe=used it only in my early days of linux.....it will take you to init 3 while not starting certain services (like Windows SafeMode) and use to prompt with linuxconf from the console, which was nice and saved me a few times as a n00b, but now linuxconf isn't used and I know how to get to init 3 if I need to so I remove it.

Thanks. I remember from 8.2 that there was a GUI somewhere =)

New updated Kernel. I have not yet updated my install. So it has two Kernel by default? Which one should I use?

Edited by ral

I'm glad Ral asked, since that's what I'm here for. I thought 263-7 was the default kernal anyway. What does selecting 263-7 in lilo do differently?

Also, how can I add other kernels? I'm having trouble with my 10.0 installation, and I'm wondering if I could try booting into an older kernel. I know how to install using a bootdisk for another kernel, but how do I add one after it's installed?

Edited by scotta

I'm glad Ral asked, since that's what I'm here for.  I thought 263-7 was the default kernal anyway.  What does selecting 263-7 in lilo do differently?

Also, how can I add other kernels?  I'm having trouble with my 10.0 installation, and I'm wondering if I could try booting into an older kernel.  I know how to install using a bootdisk for another kernel, but how do I add one after it's installed?

ooo....yes it is the default kernel....I never read the actual numbers :woops: ...but that would mean that ral's regular linux entry is the updated kernel which would be strange behavior IMO. I'd suggest actually looking at what they point to in /boot.

A new kernel should automatically be added. If not, manually edit the bootloaders config file by copying and pasting another entry and just change the version numbers to match what is in /boot. If all you have is an entry that points to;

/boot/vmlinuz

/boot/initrd

...those are symlinks, and you can check what they point to with the command;

file /boot/vmlinuz

file /boot/initrd

When you start having more that one kernel it's best to have each of them point to the actual kernel<version>

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1mdk

....etc.....

and the same goes for the initrd's

Edited by bvc

Entry 263-7 points to:

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk

Linux points to:

/boot/vmlinuz

Running uname -r confirms that /boot/vmlinuz boots up with th 2.6.3-7 Kernel too.

Edited by ral

and if you look at /boot/vmlinuz, you will see that its a smybolic link (like a windows shortcut) and points to a specific kernel file. I would just view the lilo.conf file as text and get used to it. You can see everything and its not hard to work with..

Just remember a couple rules.. you have to type lilo at the prompt to process your changes. Also, if you get errors, fix them before you reboot or your boot menu may not show up..

I don't know if it makes any difference, (I'm kind of a noobie if you couldn't tell,) but the 263-7 entry does use a different initrd than the default one. Unless that's a symlink too. I haven't checked.

Sure enough, the initrd is a symlink. Maybe Mandrake is just trying to make an easy out for people who upgrade their kernel. Or maybe they intended to make 2.6.3-8 the default kernel, but never got that far.