Lilo GRUB No longer work

rockybalboa

Well, the more things change......

After the problems I have detailed here: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=13535

Now I can't even boot my MDK install to try and fix it.

Last night Lilo failed to boot saying it couldn't find vmlinuz--something or other. So I was using GRUB. This evening GRUB won't boot, saying it can't find the linux boot partition.

So here I am back in Windoze, having used all my spare time trying (but never fixing) my original problem.

I know I can, and eventually will, find the fix the Lilo/GRUB problem. If anyone wants to throw me a link or two to speed up the process I'd appreciate it.

Who knows, maybe I'll just spend the rest of my Mandrape exerience fixing my install and reading about how MDK works, instead of actually using it.

Thanks for any advice that you can lend.

Dan

Aside from some special hardware issues, booting is a matter of each step finding the next step.

First make sure your system's /etc/fstab file is correct.

1. Boot off of CD1, hit F1, type rescue, and go to the prompt.

2. At this point, all your partitions should be under /mnt. You can make your /mnt folder the root by typing

chroot /mnt.

If step 2 doesn't work, then something is up with your partitions vs your /etc/fstab file definitions. You need to resolve this first, meaning the references in /etc/fstab have to match the actual designators for that partition. If fstab is attempting to mount / from hdb1 and that partition is now called hdb2, it won't work.

If step 2 is fine, then you should still read your /etc/fstab file and compare to your partition layout so you are familiar with it. What is your / partitions name? E.g. hdb1. You can use diskdrake or cfdisk to view your partitions and see what their designators are.

3. Check /etc/lilo.conf. This file has a boot entry for linux. Look at where it is pointing too. Make sure it is correct and the files exist. You can go look in /boot to find the file. Once all is ready, type

lilo

to process it. If you get an error, then you are still gonna have to figure it out.

Keep us posted!

While I realise all this could be a learning experience I ask the question here, What is your preferred interest ??? 1. to solve this problem

2. to have a working system as soon as practicable

If it is 1. then ignore this post.

If is 2 . then there are two options and each only take from 30 to 45minutes

Stick in your No 1 CD of the install set and let it start its routine. Carefully watch for a window where it asks you whether you want to UPGRADE........ or do a NEW Install. Now if you get to the part where it starts to ask you to setup partitions etc without having earlier asked the previous then it means that your Linux install is so screwed up that the install process has not been able to detect the presence of a viable working system so matter what you do stuffing around trying to fix a socalled boot problem you are not going to get anywhere so you might as well go ahead and do a fresh install at that point.

If on the otherhand you did get the Upgrade offer then it means your OS has been detected as a viable working system and you are in luck. All you have to do is select upgrade and let it run its course. When you get near the end of this "upgrade" you can make the appropiate selections for booting such as Grub or Lilo, whatever is your preference. PLEASE MAKE SURE you check all the other stuff as well such as printer, internet, display etc.,

When you reboot you should find a clean boot up run this time.

I have found time and again that this procedure has cleaned up most problems and I do not spend most of my time trying to fix things, I spend most of my time enjoying using my Mandrakes.

I enjoy my time here at MUB, learning from others and trying in turn to also help others. A lot of the problems I see being posted I feel could have been eliminated by using this approach but I am loath to be involved because I often get the feeling that many want to do it the hard way.

Any way the choice is yours. My POSSIBLE ( I certainly can't guarantee anything any more than anyone else can) easy way or the long way round.

Cheers. John

Tried to use fix option on MDK boot CD. Install couldn't find the partitions. Since I've yet to get this system working I opted for the complete reinstall method. It boots so now I'm back to older post install problems. In my opinion this was a non fix. But thanks to all who took the time to advise me.

Dan