Need some FTP help

kmc77

Can anyone reccomend a good FTP server?

I tried vsftpd and proftp, but they seem way too confusing. This is the first time I have tried this so they all are probably gonna seem confusing, but I'm hoping you guys (and girls) might know of one that has a good tutorial and maybe runs thru a GUI.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a buddy who took a job working on networks in Korea (I'm in Texas). We work on applications, back and forth together, but some are getting a little big to be emailing. I also want him to be able to pull over any other pertinent files when I'm not around.

If anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it.

There is a wizard that you can use in the Mandrake Control Center. It allows you to set up ProFTPd so that each user can download his own files.

Maybe that is not exactly what you were looking for, but if you give your buddy an own account on your Mandrake server, and you put the files in the /home directory of that account, he'll be able to retrieve them. Should be very easy to set up, and probably reasonably secure.

Ciao,

Sitor

webmin is great for administrating various parts of a server. i highly suggest installing it if you plan on running any type of a server, it will make your life so much easier :)

most any ftp server won't come with a GUI frontend as part of it, you'll have to find a GUI frontend for it - and webmin works with proftp. just install webmin and point your browser to https://localhost:10000

Edited by tyme