Network/Edonkey Issue

DeeJayBump

I need help. I installed Edonkey/Overnet on my PC a day or so ago. The computers in the house (3 PCs) are all on a cable modem ISP package rated at 1500Up/200Down Kbps. All PCs are networked on a Linksys BEFSR411 router and a Linksys Cable modem that I can't remember the model number of.

After finally figuring out how to port forward my router to allow Edonkey to work well both uploading and downloading, I had the following issue arise. Everytime I run Overnet/ED2K, I will get on a network and get 50-60K/sec downloads and 15-20K/s upload speeds for between 5 and 30 minutes before the speeds will drop to zero (0) both up and down. Any open browsers will no longer be able to load webpages at this point as well. The only thing I've found that cures this issue temporarily is to power-down the cable modem and router, then re-power them both. But, as soon as Overnet/Edonkey2000 is run again, it will happen again after no more than 30 minutes.

I've looked around a little in my Mandrake 9.2 to find any network/network config troubleshooting tools, but have come up empty. Are there any tools that I can use to determine if the problem is with either my hardware or my software? I've emailed my ISP tech support and they are still claiming that the problem is on my end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

The cable modem is connected to the router and the pc's are connected to the router right?

When the transmission stops are you able to ping the modems ip?

Can you ping the other pc's that are connected to the router?

If you can ping other pc's on your network but can't ping the modem, could be modem overheating.

Had this happen to me with an external adsl modem before.

Edited by johnnyv

Yes on the hardware config: PCs connected to ports on the router, and router to modem.

I don't know how to determine IP address for the cable modem from within MDK 9.2, so any help in that area would be helpful. I know how to determine my PC's IP (/sbin/ifconfig) and IPs of the other (W98/W98SE) PCs but have no idea how to determine the cable modem's IP.

Also, I don't know the command to ping in MDK9.2 either, so any help in that area would be nice as well. If in fact the cable modem is overheating, what solutions aside from the obvious ones (fan blowing on modem, better ventilation around modem) can correct this?

Thanks.

It lasted about 45 minutes running Edonkey2000 this time before dropping transfer rates to zero and forcing a modem+router reboot to re-establish internet connectivity.

I don't know if it helps in any way, but the the techs with my ISP's tech support told me that my cable modem shows 16ms ping times, and doesn't drop any packets when they communicate with it.

Okay, I have some ping results. When it crashed this time, I typed ping 192.168.1.XXX to ping the other two PCs in this home network, and the same for the cable modem's IP address.

the results were:

for pc#2 : TTL of 128 and ping times in the 0.16-0.24 millisecond range

for pc#3: TTL of 128 and ping times in the 0.2-0.3 millisecond range

for cable modem: TTL of 150 and ping times in the 0.5-0.6 millisecond range

Now, can anyone tell me what these test results mean? And where do I go from here in trying to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks.