Openoffice troubles !

hippocampe

I installed Openoffice 1.0.1 when I upgraded to Mandrake 9. I had Openoffice 1.0 before. I just deleted the old Openoffice directory in my home folder.(version 1.0 was downloaded from Sun and installed in my home folder but version 1.0.1 came with the CD and was installed systemwide). Openoffice had the ugly fonts before but I fixed it. Now with the newer version, the ugly fonts are back! I tried to apply the same procedure I did before but it didn't help very much.

Now, I did a new install of Mdk9 on a friend's machine and he has those beautiful anti-aliased fonts in Openoffice 1.0.1. So I wonder if it's due to some files which remained from the previous version?

I saw a .openoffice/ directory in my home folder and I thought that it contains my personal settings so I tried to rename it to something else just to see if starting openoffice again would create a new directory and fresh config files.

But, starting openoffice again gave me the install dialog everytime :?

Wth? everything is aready installed!!

Should I just go on with the install or ? Will it fix the ugly fonts? :wink:

Thanks

Installation won'T change anything. You'll have to install truetype fonts either, or change the Standard font for OpenOffice. Somewhere in the options is a place, to substitute fonts, there y<ou'll have to substitute (is this the right word?) the font "Andale Sans UI" against Arial, or Helvetica....

I did that. I installed XP fonts and also did the font replacement thing. Right now I have andale sans UI replaced with Helvetica but... the user interface font is still ugly :(

hmmm.... also, Openoffice makes Gnome freeze real bad. It happens nearly everytime I use Openoffice. Only the mouse will move on the screen but Gnome will stop responding (menus, keyboard shorcuts, right click, etc...) All I can do is reboot. This is getting on my nerve. Its too bad because I use it a lot.

I tried to take a look at xsession-errors but saw nothing interesting.

Any ideas?

Just for me, to figure it out:

You did a fresh install of LM9 with deleting or formatting the old partition/files, no rests of the old installation in your /usr or /opt path?

You installed OOffice, delivered by the distribution?

I did a fresh install, deleted and reformated the old partitions. But I made a backup of the /home as well as /etc and /var directories before installation.

As you know, Openoffice is included with Mandrale 9 and I installed it when installing Mandrake 9.

But I already installed Openoffice before in my /home folder so when I restored the backup of my home folder, I restored also that installation of openoffce and I guess the old configuration files. After that, to uninstall the previous version I just deleted the OpenOffice/ directory from my home folder.

Therefore, only version 1.0.1 is left on my system currently.