Question about running Cooker

marcnino

Hi everybody,

I'm currently running Mandrake 10CE on my IBM Thinkpad (it's a dual boot with Win2k). I'm fairly happy with the 10CE install, but there are a few niggling issues and whatnot... all part of the fun. I'm using the 10CE partition a lot, but I keep all my data on the Win2k side.

Lately, I've been wanting to try out Cooker. I love having the bleeding edge stuff, and since I don't keep my data on the Mandy partition, I don't mind a little instability. However, I've read the warnings ("Cooker is an experimental distribution, it's not for daily use!"), and I'm a little gun shy.

So I wanted to ask the members of this board -- is Cooker really that unstable? Are any of you using it on a daily basis, and if so, does it work for you? Any Cooker horror stories? Please give me your experiences before I jump off the high dive, or climb back down the ladder like a wuss!

Marc...

I tried using it on a daily basis a year or so back and it was ok, occassionally things would break but you learn to work around them. I found the messing around and constant installing of updates was actually getting in the way of using my computer though...

I use it on a daily basis on both my laptop and my desktop computer (see signature) and I love it. I've had only 1 major problem with it (ncurses, search the forum for more on this if you are interested). Other than that, it seems to be fairly stable.

I would say, however, that if you're fairly new to Linux I would avoid using cooker until you're more comfortable with the cli in case something breaks and you have no alternative to fix it.

Thanks for the replies. It didn't take much convincing... I just got done switching to Cooker. A lot of packages were installed, and after a sanity reboot (yes, those old Windows habits die hard, what can I say), everything seems to be running just like before... which is a good sign, right? :D I'm sure the little differences will reveal themselves in the future, but for now, it seems all good.

Thanks for the good advice. Qchem, I find that I'm constantly messing around with any version of Linux, stable or no... maybe that's just my nature... heh. LiquidZoo, thankfully I'm not too afraid of the CLI, although you have to use it more often in Linux than I think one should. But the more I use Linux, the more I appreciate the power of the CLI.

Thanks again...

Marc...