ISP for Mandrake Linux

Art

Despite bad press to the contrary, most any ISP will work.

TCP is TCP whether it is Mac, PC, Linux OS. So as long as you setup properly any ISP will do... Exceptions might be AOL or Compuserve that use their own software which is not available for Linux. But I bet you can even find a work around for that.

Enjoy!

The porblem is that VIRTUALY ALL dial-up ISP's use their own software. The real trick is figureing out which ones MUST use it.

MSN and Earthlink BOTH use their own sotware, but you can easily connect to either with a standard ppp connection.

AOL does NOT work with linux at all, because their software is required. When I talked to the guys from PeoplePC, they insisted that you can't connect to their servers with linux, ut they didn't know what a DUN or ppp connection was, so who knows.

Beyond that I don't know. Sadly, unless you can find someone who has tried, the only real way to know is to sign up for service, try it out, and then cancle if it fails. sadly, this can get expensive in a hurry.

On a side note, does ATT work with linux?

Hi:

I have tried using the kpppd dialer on Linux with my login parameters enetered. I login into the server then I get ejected outside I get an error message stating kppd error # 16, some times #19 , I once got an error #9. It is becoz I am using a Live CD, and the message states " cannot create /var/system/pppd.log and system.log file.

On Mandrake Live CD I can get an error stating /etc/conf does not exist please create this directory. I have still not installed Linux on HD. ATT does not provide software for Linux. Netzero is supposed to provide software for Lindos, which is a .deb file. I read on the internet that people have tried to convert .deb file to rpm using Alien program and have not been successful. I am new to Linux. Has anybody changed the Netzero software for Lindos to Mandrake ie netzero.deb to netzerio.rpm.

There was a idea of using a a dial up service called 650dialup.com that is supossed to not use any software. I will find more about it.

Thanks for your info.

Art

I am not certain but I think almost every ISP in Australia can handle Linux. I am certain Telstra Bigpond, the biggest, with probably 70% of the market (not certain of the correct %) and Austar which has the biggest % of the remainder certainly can. Am not sure about the remainder but I haven't heard of any that cannot. This doesn't mean there aren't any of course. It would seem however that we in Australia are much better served than a lot of other countries. :thumbs:

Kmack. Didn't take you long to settle in back home. ( you were back home at this point weren't you???) He He He :D