ADSL internet connection dissapeared

Guest neill

hi, i've been using Mdk9.0 since it was released and i was able to use the internet from the first time i booted up... until now.

i switched to windows for 10minutes and when i came back to linux i couldn't connect to the internet. it's really frustrating as i'm in the middle of some assignments which constantly require researching on the web and linux has all my tools for developing in c and java. (so i can't do my assignment in windows). one of these assignments is due in a week!

i have an Alcatel Speedtouch external USB modem.

when i try to connect to the internet i get the following error:

SIODCELRT: no such process

Starting ADSL Connection: /usr/share/speedtouch/speedtouch.sh: line 150: 0=0: command not found

line 150: 0=0: command not found

[FAILED]

i haven't (knowingly) modified this file. during my last linux session all i did was install CUPS and shorewall. when i first had the problem i reconfigured the firewall to make sure it wasn't blocking anything, which didn't help, and then i uninstalled shorewall and that hasn't helped either.

does anyone know what the problem might be? can anyone help me at all? has anyone else had this problem?

thanks for your help.

i don't know what you've tried already, but the first thing I would do is check it out in Mandrake Control Center>Network & Internet>Connection. Under the State field in LAN configuration, see if it says "up". If not tick the Expert Mode button>Configure Local Area Network and try to activate it. Also see if it's configured to start on boot. If you want to start from scratch, you can reconfigure the LAN and internet connection by clicking on the Wizzard button and you will go through the same screens that you did during the install when you configured your internet connection.

thanks for the reply.

i should've said in my post that i'd tried all this already. tried starting connection at boot... not at boot... tried reconfiguring it many a time using mcc->internet->connections ... using the wizard... but i still get the same errors.

any ideas now?

I have no clue as to what the error messages mean. The only thing I can suggest is to completely recyclye power i.e. shut down everything, pull the plug out of the wall, wait a few minutes and then try again. I've found that sometimes it's the only way to get cranky USB devices working. Also try setting security settings to the lowest possible settings.

Did you have internet access after your install of CUPS and shorewall and only lose it after you booted to windows and back? It's not clear from your post.

thanks for the tip. i tried it but i still get the error. security levels have always been at the lowest setting.

i'm pretty sure it was working just after installing CUPS and shorewall. i'm not definite but - pretty sure :). (i was testing the printer so i may not have used the connection after installing CUPS - i don't remember).

this is so annoying! it shouldn't just stop working like this!

You may want to repost this on Networking. You'll probably get more help from people that know what they are talking about. As I am unfamiliar with DSL configuration in general and your hardware in particular, I can only state the obvious, most of which you appear to have done.

One thing though you might want to take a look at. You are getting an error message referring to line 150 of /usr/share/speedtouch/speedtouch.sh. Try opening up this file with gedit or kedit and see what's at line 150. It might give you some idea what's going on. Also, if changes were made to this script, there may be a backup, probably in the same directory. They usually appear with the same filename with a .bak extension. If it's there you can compare the two files to see if anything has changed. You can also try renaming your current file with a .new extension and dropping the .bak extension on the backup and see if you can get running with the backup file.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem.

And it's really pissing me off to have to keep booting back into the hated window$ to get net access.

Anyhow, the only way that I have found to cure this is to reinstall the whole OS.

I have tried looking through "disc 1" and found an rpm called speedtouch and "installed" it in the hope that it will replace the damaged package.

No such luck.

I have previously damaged it ( i think) by trying to install shorewall, but with that installed, it won't let me access the f*****g net (sorry I am in really angry rant mode at the moment - i.e. bastard linux, bastard mandrake, bastard everything - hence please excuse the expletives I'm trying really hard to put this post in a common sense and logical manner!!!!!!!!!!!).

I digress. I have tried the shorewall, nothing, I have then uninstalled shorewall, nothing, I have tried re-installing the iptables, nothing, hence the fall back of reinstalling the OS just to correct a small missing/damaged script, which is not only overkill, but a total pain in the arse having to re input my customisation i.e. I prefer opera, window$/M$ office fonts, URL's etc etc.

But I would like to learn how to correct this snag, and have started an "incident" at mandrakeexpert, but as yet, assistance has been minimal - you may be able to follow it by searching mandrakeexpert for my connection problem thread.

Any help is much appreciated because to be honest, I am getting close to bining the linux altogether, which may sound petty, but as my IT knowledge is very limited and I have no interest in most of the stuff that linux is capable of, I just want a non M$ system for surfing, word processing, etc - user stuff, and having to do this all the time is just too much aggravation for a basic user like me.

Just for back ground, I connect at boot, because I can't work out how to sort a firewall under linux - shorewall is what I get when I click on the firewall option under MCC>security>firewall and I can't work out how to configure it so I can just surf normally and have it prevent outside access when I'm not in front of the PC.

So I use the disconnect option in the control centre under connections. If I leave the computer for too long, I have to re boot it to connect, as it won't let me reconnect to the net. Hence a firewall would be good.

Again, any assistance is very much appreciated

regards

John (calm, calm, deep breaths, calm, deep breath, cigarette, coffee, deep breaths, etc etc etc)