nvidia and kernel 2.6 problem

burak

i have GForce-4 mx 440 and mandrake 10.at the end of the installation(configuration video cards) mandrake is starting to install nvidia drivers and open glx.after the installation mandrake is starting again with a black screen like this: localhost:

rbm-25

i think my video card don't run with this drivers or kernel 2.6.how can i install mandrake without nvidia drivers? and one more question: now i have 3 linux at starup which is linux-smp, linux 2.4, linux non-bf? how can i remove three of them.

...and one more question: now i have 3 linux at starup which is linux-smp, linux 2.4, linux non-bf? how can i remove three of them.

Do you have a multi-processor PC ? I no, something probably went wrong with your install: linux-smp is needed only with multiprocessing (or multithreading I'm not sure)

I don't think the nVidia driver works with linux-smp.

Anyway, here how to change the startup:

Edit /etc/lilo.conf as root.

Look at the file, it's understandable.

From memory (I'm currently on Windows) there is:

- "label" that define the string that is going to be displayed on lilo's screen,

- "image" that define the kernel to run

- "default" that says witch kernel to boot by default.

After you change /etc/lilo.conf , you MUST run lilo as root. Just type "lilo"

yes, if you have a multi-processor PC then that's the kernel you need to boot to and install the nvidia driver for....and unless nvidia has taken a step backwards it does support and work with smp. I don't have a multi-processor box but I do have the gf4mx440se. It works.

Oh, and the easy way to remove unwanted boot configs is the Mandrake Control Center>Boot>Bootloader or something....you'll see it.

Edited by bvc

• 2 weeks later...
i have GForce-4 mx 440 and mandrake 10.at the end of the installation(configuration video cards) mandrake is starting to install nvidia drivers and open glx.after the installation mandrake is starting again with a black screen like this: localhost:

rbm-25

i think my video card don't run with this drivers or kernel 2.6.how can i install mandrake without nvidia drivers? and one more question: now i have 3 linux at starup which is linux-smp, linux 2.4, linux non-bf? how can i remove three of them.

try installing NVIDIA_GLX-5336-3mdk.i586.rpm, it mast ne in CD3 of your distribution.

# urpmi NVIDIA_GLX-5336-3mdk.i586.rpm

about the other thing, you can do it editing de /etc/lilo.conf.

i hope this thing may ehllp you, and sorry adout my english...... :P