Some games don't work

Guest Liono

I've tried running a couple games like "uplink" and "xshipwars" but for some reason, these programs start loading and then just close without a warning. Any idea whats going on?

I'm on mandrake 9.0 powerpack btw, with a geforce 2 mx200 graphics card, and the default driver for that card

and the default driver for that card
default as in, you've done nothing to any thing? In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, do you have a line

Driver "nv"

or

Driver "nvidia"?

If "nv" this is your prob. No 3d accel.

build your own here

http://mdkxp.by-a.com/htm/tutorials/nvidiacli.php

Get prebuilt for 9.0 here http://mdkextras.by-a.com/ because nvidia doesn't have them for 9.0 yet.

I don't think uplink uses 3D acceleration. Try using a console to launch the games. Taht way you can see what error messages they generate as they fail. You may not hav installed necessary packages like SDL for example...

Ok, I've checked the file, the driver is nvidia, so I guess I do have 3d acceleration

As for the games, the problem is they don't create any errors as the load...They just close, without a reason.

Ok, I've checked the file, the driver is nvidia, so I guess I do have 3d acceleration

Not necessarily. You need the GLX driver working properly to have OpenGL functioning right.

As for the games, the problem is they don't create any errors as the load...They just close, without a reason.

Launch them from a console shell instead of launching them from the menu or an icon,... If that doesn't produce a result, try switching to a the monitoring screen to see what is going on system's wise. [ALT] + [CTRL] + [F7], I think... you get a screen with system statis messages, including ones from apps that aren't running right.