Linus Torvalds mentioned in TIME magazine.

Lord Kenneth

In so far, it's not clear he has such influence to average mortals yet.

However, I'll speculate if Kernel 2.7 can surpass the capability of Solaris or even High-end UNIX, then the computing scene will be changed forever. Linux, is no longer just cheaper, but the most powerful OS kernel in the world. Now then it will be clear that he (to be fair, with his team of Kernel hackers) will be one of the most influential person (or group) in this world.

In 50 years, Linus will have had the Nobelprize for Computing (possibly twice), be knighted by the King of E (also possibly twice - but my crystal ball is hazy), he will have statues in at least 5 of the 10 largest cities after or even before he dies, and Linux will be all around.

MS will be the solutions provider of all kinds of niche programs that people still pay for, within 10 years. Most platforms will run linux, embedded in most cases.

In 100 years, no one will remember the ape dance of Ballmer, nor his name, and most will have to look up who Bill Gates was - that extraordinarily wealthy man who got his wealth by taking from the poor in a way that was acceptable at the time, somewhere around the start of the 3rd millenium.

Kids will merely talk about 'Linus', they will not know his lastname (just as people don't use/mention his middle name, that I provide here for your entertainment: Benedict) since there is only one Linus. (Which is naturally not true, but in talking about Linus we all know who we mean.)

In computing, Linus will be up there with Turing, Ada Lovelace, Babbage and Richard Stallman - yes, he too will be on the top list...

Oh sorry, this is everything linux - though it was Off Topic for a bit there... :D

you mean 2.8, or 3.0. A 2.7 kernel is something that scares me (odd numbers mean development, pair numbers mean stable versions)

call me purist, I don't care  :jester:

It's always the stuff in development that's interesting. :D

Yeah, nobody knows whether the next stable Kernel will be called 2.8 or 3.0, but 2.7 as the development Kernel is for sure.

Well, we do need to acknowledge Hollerith for the Inventions that led to the creation of International Business Machines, which in due time set forth the speifications of what would be known as the IBM Personal Computer (though never intended for personal use). Bill Gates did provide the Operating System, and consequently had a great deal of influence on things for many years to come.

Along comes an upstart named Linus Torvalds, who slips by Microsoft's Threat notice, until it is too late for MS to stop Linux.

Linus is having as much, if not more influence on things, than Bill Gates, though in a much different way (much to the dismay of Mr. Gates).