SOLVED - reading mail from spool

coverup

My mail clients have trouble reading mail from /var/spool/mail directory. It seems that the problem is that kmail/netscape and the like do not have permission to create a lock file in /var/spool/mail. As a temporary solution I changed permissions to give all users write access to this dir. That seems to work, but I would like to fix the problem in a more secure way. Does anybody have an idea?

If that might help... This is a user account ctreated during install. Originally, it didn't have a mailbox at all, I created it by hand making /var/spool/mail/ owned by user.mail (ie owned by user, group mail), this is how mailbox is set on another box... Do I have to add user to group mail, or anything of this sort?

Edited by coverup

The problem and the solution are described in kmail FAQ. It turns out that procmail can't crate lockfiles in /var/spool/mail (ah-hm... I wonder why?). The workaround is to tell procmail create the lockfile in a dir for which you have write access. When you setup kmail to read mail from the local mailbox (Configure kmail -> Network -> Receiving -> Add -> Local maibox) and choose `Locking method' `Procmail lockfile', you'll see the line next to it: /var/spool/mail/username.lock. Modify it to /home/username/whateverdir/username.lock

That's all folks! I now wonder whether evolution can be set same way.