Upgrading from 10.0 CE to 10.0 Official ???

willfarnaby

I previously installed Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition and put a lot of work into installing various software and configuring the system.

Now, before I actually proceed, I'd like to know what I can expect if I boot from the 4 CD 10.0 Official release and select "Upgrade". What have peoples' experiences been?

Thanks.

I haven't tried a 10-CE to 10-OE using the ISOs, the following may be helpful.

I upgraded from 10-CE to 10-OE by using urpmi and dowloading from a mirror the day that 10-OE was announced. I had my system up-to-date with all 10-CE updates. When I ran urpmi --auto-select on the 10-OE sources, the only rpm that was installed was mandrake-release which installs the text file /etc/mandrake-release.

I've subsequently bittorrented the 10-OE ISOs and have them looback-mounted as rpm repositories. Running urpmi --auto-select against the ISOs didn't install any new rpms. There have been a few updates from the Official/10.0 update mirrors.

So, I would guess that doing an update from the ISOs should be a non-event (but you never know until you try it ;-)).

I should add that I had reinstalled 10-CE after the cooker screw-up and had found a mirror with a clean 10-CE setup just a few days before 10-OE was released so my system was in good shape. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing what I did if they still had 10.1 cooker rpms installed.

Guest Danomatic

I had a perfectly running 10.0 Community setup. I performed the "Official" upgrade to Community and it screwed up my Lilo based dual boot to Windows.

Not a big problem.. popped in the Windows CD, jumped to System Recovery Console and "fixmbr".

Then I did a semi-clean (didn't format /home) install of 10.0 Official. Had to reinstall my ATI drivers and a couple other non-core programs and all went well.

Overall, this newbie Linux user didn't have much difficulty with the upgrade.

The nice part is that Disc 1 of "Official" actually works as the boot disc unlike Community ;)