Blue Screen of Death? Not installing

IceStorm

I've never used Linux before, so bare with me please for my newness.

I've got 10.0 CE, and am booting with the boot disk so the cdrom would be seen. This works fine. It see's the drive and loads up. Going into normal/expert/vgalo mode it will only boot up to a blue screen with a black X for a cursor and no further.

If I try text mode, I can select the language. Then it gives an error code of

"keymap ioctl failed (0 128 512): Invalid argument"

I also see a message in the terminal, using graphical mode, as it scrolls about not being able to load RGB_DB" and gives the path/filename. Then goes to the blue screen with the black X cursor.

:help:

Edited by IceStorm

Yes, this is a known bug with the installer. Doing as suggested will render a complete install. The problem is fixed in the Official release. (Yay!)

Yes, this is a known bug with the installer. Doing as suggested will render a complete install. The problem is fixed in the Official release. (Yay!)

Official release? I thought 10.0 was official?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just new to Linux and the ever growing world of it.

Thanks to all your input

Mandrake has a new release convention. Cooker is all experimental, maybe works, maybe doesn't. Community Edition, CE, is a release that is ready to go, but needs to be ran by lots of people in order to verify any forgotten or unknown issues. That is why there were over 800MB of updates to CE. The Official Edition is the polished product resulting from all the CE issues. In this case, one of those issues was the rather bizzar installer thing! B)

OK, I put disc 2 in and booted from it. Again, it tells me that it cannot find my cd drive. So I put the floppy disk in and boot from it with CD 2 in. The driver loads for the drive and it accesses it for about 1 seconds, then says to put the proper CD in.

And alas, I get the same problem as I originally said.

OK, I am going to need some details, should have asked before. What is your mb, vid card, processor, name brand or home built?

Also, did you download and burn these disks? md5sum check ok?

OK, I am going to need some details, should have asked before. What is your mb, vid card, processor, name brand or home built?

Also, did you download and burn these disks? md5sum check ok?

Well I'm installing this on an old laptop

Toshiba Satellite 305CDS. Here are the specs for it:

Model name/No. DynaBook Satellite 305/300 / PA1261xx

Processor MMX Pentium 166MHz

Memory(MAX) 32MB(96MB)

HDD 6.4GB

Display Display 12.1inch TFT /DSTN 800x600

Display controller C&T B65555

Video RAM 2MB

Sound PCI

PC Card controller CardBus x2

USB 1port

Yes, I downloaded all 3 ISO's from mandrakelinux.com. They burned fine with no errors, and the md5sum's were exact per the mandrake web site:

d42231c6b9fc51628e239c222732133d Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso

b8de38902ca851478f6bd938b9c57f27 Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD2.i586.iso

19c7e628a6da55adf7a84a06126c2ec4 Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD3.i586.iso

Edited by IceStorm