CD-RW Backup Application Needed

mandrake_alf

i've looked for quite some time off and on for a Linux BACKUP solution that will use my CD-RW drive. I'm not in the frame of mind of getting my Segate TBU repaired (AGAIN) and I don't have adaquate access to offsite storage ... All I ask is for an appliation that will Read and Write my backups to a CDRW disk and do it without a truckload of 'techno babble'! Don''t get me wrong here... if a CLI solution is the best for the job I'll do it.. I"m definately not afraid of the CLI but at the same time, I'm sorta lazy and like 'point N click' convience.

Thanx a bunch for your suggestions...

Guest Adriano

Did you try drakbackup? I normally don't use it, (when I backup, I just tarbzip, then k3b the file) but apparently it does what you ask. Apparently == button is there under "advanced config, Where" to backup to a CD, CD-RW, DVD....

Drakebackup does not see any CDRW devices even though K3B does. I'd do the tarball/k3b thing but damn, I just don't think it should be necessary to have too... In my old windoew$ days, I had a backup schedeuled for every day and when needed, i had access to extract any file without a big hassle.... Ok.. I'm no longer doing windows but where is all the 'ease of use' promised by these distros???

I think one of my problems is I have an IDE HDD and my CDRW is hanging on a SCSI II controller. I'll replace it w/IDE when it goes out but not befrore then JUST to make mdk happy and fuzzy with my hardware config haveing matching interface drives...

Oh... btw.... one more issue with using K3B is I have no idea what application to use to READ the contents of a CDRW? I've tried lots on a disk that I 'blanked' with K3B but every application says there either isn't a disk in the drive or wants me to 'format' it first.

Maybe I'm in over my head here and should just backup to floppy?

Guest Adriano

My situation: an IDE HP9100 i CD burner. Drakbackup recognizes it. K3b does too. I haven't had any problem whatsoever reading CD-RWs from either K3b, Konqueror or Nautilus. Of course, K3b wants to erase these disks as soon as you tell it to burn, but not before.

So yes, I do think it's something to do with your drive in particular.

Well, if K3B is working the cdrecord is working ...

so you could just write a shell script with a mkisofs then blank the media and a cdrecord

incidentally what does cdrecord --scanbus show ??

what group are the /dec/scd* owned by etc ....